Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Optimizing Vitamin D Status in Soldiers to Enhance Physical and Cognitive Performance

Feedback Score
    On a related tangient: I would like someone to state definitively what the optimum dose is. Some consider the USDA recommended daily allowance to be laughably low; others caution of the specter of Vitamin D toxicity since it is stored in the liver.

Personally, I doubt seriously any American (unless they work outside and supplement too), could ever get Vitamin D toxicity.

Still, what is the optimum dose?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    On a related tangient: I would like someone to state definitively what the optimum dose is.
    Hence, the link I supplied above which outlines exactly that: How to figure the "optimum" dose is that dose that gets you to the levels of 25OHD for best effects, and that dose varies per individual and can only found via testing. No set number, will be optimal for all people period. All numbers for vites are generally figured as that dose which prevents frank deficiency with an added margin of error and safety for each. They have nadda to do with "optimal" and there's no lack of debate that what exists for numbers via RDA etc are out out of date, and or, not in line with the modern data, and in need of revamp, but that's another topic.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Hence, the link I supplied above which outlines exactly that: How to figure the "optimum" dose is that dose that gets you to the levels of 25OHD for best effects, and that dose varies per individual and can only found via testing. No set number, will be optimal for all people period. All numbers for vites are generally figured as that dose which prevents frank deficiency with an added margin of error and safety for each. They have nadda to do with "optimal" and there's no lack of debate that what exists for numbers via RDA etc are out out of date, and or, not in line with the modern data, and in need of revamp, but that's another topic.

On second thought, I should not have used the word "optimum."

I was getting more at "what dose would most adults be safe to take and that dose is enough to see benefits?"

I was wanting something that avoids the need to be tested.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    On second thought, I should not have used the word "optimum."

I was getting more at "what dose would most adults be safe to take and that dose is enough to see benefits?"

I was wanting something that avoids the need to be tested.
    As that's going to be highly individual, due to the highly varying levels of D in people (due to diet, sun exposure, race, genetic factors,etc) a safe bet is approx 1000 - 5000 IU of D3 per day. Although those doses are unlikely to do any harm (toxic levels of D appear far higher than early fears of this "fat soluble" vite BTW), D levels above ranges listed in linked article could be problematic. The second problem with D is, people have wide ranges of response to oral D supplements for reasons not fully understood, so 1,000IU may be plenty to get you to needed levels and for others, may take 7,000, even 10,000 IU to do the same. My levels were low, and it took 5,000 of D3 to get to the middle of the 25OHD range (a fairly typical dose I find), but it took my dermatologist (a big proponent of D BTW) 10,000IUs which came as a surprise to him.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Interesting. I started with 1,000 and now I take 5,000. I have been somewhat nervous about taking more than that (I AM out in the sun during warm weather).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Interesting. I started with 1,000 and now I take 5,000. I have been somewhat nervous about taking more than that (I AM out in the sun during warm weather).
    Minus testing, I wouldn't go higher unless a need to was shown. Most people most of the time, 5k usually does the trick I find.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    Minus testing, I wouldn't go higher unless a need to was shown. Most people most of the time, 5k usually does the trick I find.
    That's the answer I was looking for.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    That's the answer I was looking for.
    Rgr, rgr. Some times just takes a little while to get there, but it's like when a person posts "what's the best handgun for self defense" it leads to more Qs then answers if the Q lacks essential specifics and guns is far less complex than human physiology.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Will, how do you take your dosage? All at once or spread out during the course of the day?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JW5219 View Post
    Will, how do you take your dosage? All at once or spread out during the course of the day?
    Being fat soluble, I don't believe timing or a need to spread out exists best of my knowledge. I just tend to take my one dose with a fat containing meal, usually lunch out of habit. As a rule, fat soluble nutrients get best absorption when taken with dietary fat (with varying importance and effect) , but it all evens out over time in terms of getting steady 25OHD levels if dose is correct, so again, I don't sweat that one too much.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast