Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Stopping Power" article

Feedback Score

"Stopping Power" article

There has been some discussion on “stopping power” of late so I think it’s time that we get a few things straight. First off, “stopping3598065314_7ccc33d168_b power” or “knockdown power” doesn’t exist. Velocity exists. Foot pounds exist. Momentum exists. Even tissue disruption can be quantified but there is no magical force called “stopping.”

The term “stopping power” is, at best, an awkward attempt to quantify the ability of a given cartridge or load to incapacitate an attacker. It may surprise you to know that Cracky McCrackerson, your friendly neighborhood crack head/rapist/burglar actually has no idea that your grandpappy’s 1911 is supposed to take a man’s arm off when it whizzes past. He doesn’t know that the stopping powertoothless suspender guy who seems nailed to that creaky stool at the gun store told you so. He doesn’t know that every gun rag ever written proclaims how singularly badass the .45 ACP is and how you have to buy a $3,000 1911 because ‘Merkah! You have to convince his body to stop trying to harm you. This is called “incapacitation.” What causes incapacitation, though?
    The rest is here if you're interested.

Feedback Score
    And so it continues, a gun writer with no ideas can always pull a story out of "stopping power". He ought to write for a golf mag so he can tell me for the millionth time how to stop my slice, "cures for the ol' banana ball". What crap!
    There are only 2 things we should fight for. One is defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights.

Gen. Smedley Butler, USMC

Feedback Score
    You didn't actually read it, did you?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good article, it went farther in depth than than the typical "stopping power" articles. I'm not as informed on terminal ballistics as some here, hopefully they will way in. Did agree with some of that was said about the "psychological stop" that some cals can have, provided attacker are not drugged out of their mind.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    Good article though its nothing new to those who have followed Gary Roberts for any length of time. It does take a lot of information that's out there and put it together in a concise form.

Feedback Score
    It's well written and a good reminder for the countless gunshop commandos who routinely spout nonsense.

My favorite explanation to date comes from Kyle Defoor. It's all about "timers and switches." Hit a switch (CNS) and the threat stops. Hit a timer (anything else) and the clock is running. You can poke more holes to speed up the clock.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyB62 View Post
    Good article though its nothing new to those who have followed Gary Roberts for any length of time. It does take a lot of information that's out there and put it together in a concise form.
    True, but getting this truth to the masses it's what makes it great. It's ignorance reduction on a large scale.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm a fan of stopping power and banana clips. I embrace the bullshit! Trying to defeat the stupidity is only going to lead to frustration.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    “stopping power” or “knockdown power” doesn’t exist. Velocity exists. Foot pounds exist. Momentum exists. Even tissue disruption can be quantified but there is no magical force called “stopping.”
    I would also add that penetration exists and that it must be adequate.

I would agree that the above is true concerning service handgun calibers that have been considered managable by average shooters. I find it instructive that since the pre Civil War introduction of the revolver, that .36 and .44/.45 calibers were the most popular service calibers and I have yet to find widespread documented complaints about the effectiveness of these bore sizes even in loads that most would consider inadequate today. Back then, effectiveness was measured by bullet penetration in pine boards. After studying the results of the current testing, I have come to the conclusion that the 100+ yr old tests may have been a valid yardstick.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The problem with the authors conclusions is that it is based on assumptions of physiology, and how much a gel block moves. 10mm OISs are rare, but there are a few here and there. One shooting that I recall from my time in central Texas was a Comal CO deputy who shot a perp 6 times in the torso with the old 170gr Norma load in 1993. The perp still ran to cover, and returned fire with a shotgun(he bled out later). Texas DPS didn't have a whole lot of "special" luck with their .357sig either, and have instead switch over to the M&P 9mm. Heck, Ayoob recently discussed a shooting he investigated where a perp took 7 torso hits with .45acp 185gr+P Golden Saber at close range. The perp, turned and ran about 20yrds before the hit to his heart initiated his incapacitation. Then you have other alarming OISs such as Officer Peter Soulis' shooting where he placed 16 hits near COM of his perp with .40S&W 165gr RTs and the perp still managed to run back to his vehicle and put it in reverse. At best, a higher kinetic energy cartridge like the .357sig or 10mm "might" have an occasional instance of a one shot stop, but in the last 20 years the OIS documentation doesn't demonstrate it to any measure of dependability. S&M, Michael Courtney,.....etc have all tried with extreme dedication and heavy exaggeration to try to show some sort of effects exist in handgun incapacitation other than permanent cavity to no avail. As long as people still shoot jugs of water, clay, gel, and fruit......there is always going to be the temptation to make such assumptions.

In almost every circumstance, it takes more than one hit with a service caliber to get the ball rolling so to speak, and get the process of incapacitation underway(unless you get a lucky CNS hit) on a determined attacker. Shot placement of course is king......better shot placement generally makes the incapacitation process faster. Without a doubt, with every shooter I have ever trained(including myself), it is far easier to get several shots in the right shot placement under time constraints with the 9mm than the larger calibers. In fact, the scores are significantly different in most cases, even with guys that use the larger caliber as their duty weapon. Time does matter, as your window for getting optimal hits is often fleeting in a dynamic fight.
    Last edited by Symmetry; 04-03-14 at 21:14.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast