Thread: TA33 for CQB?

Feedback Score

Question TA33 for CQB?

I was wondering if the TA33 could be used for CQC instead of a red dot like the Aimpoint. What's everyone's opinion?

I read the excellent sticky posted by USMC03. He says no, but I think he was only talking about the TA01, TA31, and TA11. I've read that the TA33 is "faster."

Thanks.

Crashy

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crashy View Post
    I was wondering if the TA33 could be used for CQC instead of a red dot like the Aimpoint. What's everyone's opinion?

I read the excellent sticky posted by USMC03. He says no, but I think he was only talking about the TA01, TA31, and TA11. I've read that the TA33 is "faster."

Thanks.

Crashy
    I don't think it's any faster than any other ACOG of similar magnification.

It's a great optic and I love it but imo it's not particularly suited to CQB.

It may work...but I'm skeptical that it will be better/faster than an Aimpoint at CQB.

Like anything else there is a tradeoff.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    I recently got on, and it's not as fast as an Eotech up close..
    mine is going on a 6.8 upper for hunting..

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies.

Crashy

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The first answer is that no, it's not faster than an Aimpoint given the same amount of training with each and the same shooter. With that said, I have won more than a few matches with a heavy emphasis on CQ while running a TA33 against other shooters with Aimpoints and Eotechs.

If you're going to use a TA33 up close you HAVE to run both eyes open. If you don't you will get major tunnel vision and lose track of your targets. I had this happen on a hog hunt where the boar was partially concealed in the brush and wound up just wounding her before we went chasing off after her over hill and dale (thank god for swamp buggies!).

Using the TA33 in CQ is also a rapidly perishable skill. I have found that if I don't pick up that particular rifle for a couple of months, it takes me awhile to re-familiarize myself with the optic and be able to run it correctly.

You may find that one of the lower magnification Compact ACOGs will work better for you. I have a 1.5x on a suppressed Colt 6933 and it runs much faster for me with the lower mag, and the skill is less perishable (although still not as intuitive as an Aimpoint).

1.5x on top, 3x on bottom

Comparison of the two magnifications, 1.5x on left, 3x on right