Thread: Tips for operating an AK Left Handed? (plus refinish question)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Tips for operating an AK Left Handed? (plus refinish question)

I'm left eye dominant, so I shoot long guns left handed. Does anyone have any recommendations for running an AK left handed? Specifically operating the charging handle and safety.

Also, would it be worth the time/expense/effort to have a more durable finish applied to my SLR-107FR? If so, any recommendations for finishes and people to do it?

Thanks,

Jason

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Actually the AK is a bit more lefty friendly than a lot of firearms.

Essentially you get a magwell grip with your right hand and click the safety down with your right thumb.

Charging handle is equally fairly easy to access if you're shooting lefty.

Finishes are a personal matter, but I'm partial to "Gunplumber" Mark Graham's METACOL finishes. Whether it's worth it from a cost/value perspective that would be up to you.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Basically what GutshotJohn said, but I don't like a mag hold, but an AK is actually VERY left hand friendly.

I have several stamped Arsenal SLR series rifles, and I don't let the finish bug me. They get used fairly hard and are still just fine.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Basically what GutshotJohn said, but I don't like a mag hold, but an AK is actually VERY left hand friendly.

I have several stamped Arsenal SLR series rifles, and I don't let the finish bug me. They get used fairly hard and are still just fine.
    Actually I'm not a big fan of the magwell hold either, but on the AK I didn't really know any other options for accessing the safety with your thumb.

Do you just get a regular grip and then just roll the thumb back farther to reach the safety?

I am an empty cup...fill me.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I would just operate the safety as needed. If you are transitioning to a sidearm, there's no reason to put the safety back on the rifle, just let it hang.

If you're presenting the rifle, then you can certainly have your thumb on the safety lever and then move your hand back up to the handguard as you're bringing the rifle on target.

It is different than running an AR, certainly, but it's honestly not that bad.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com