Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: grey ghost gear stealth operator pack

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

grey ghost gear stealth operator pack

http://www.greyghostgear.com/packs/s...perator-pack-1

i have been using this pack for over 6 months now. i use it for a very specific purpose: going to the gym where i cannot realistically conceal a gun on my person in the workout garb that i choose to wear, doing the workout motions that i choose to perform.

i will have to say that this pack does not perform the functions that i wish it could or would very well.

i read a review once that stated this backpack was not a concealed carry backpack, but more like a concealed transport backpack. the reason for this has to be because it is motherloving impossible to draw or resholster a gun into the gun pocket of this pack. most of the pictures online show the pack opened wide, showing the gun compartment. however these pictures are misleading, when the backpack is actually being used, slung on one shoulder in front of the body or placed on a table top, the gun pocket is very hard to access with one or two hands. the most basic reason for this difficulty is the verticle zipper design. you have a verticle, centerline zipper, this means the access to what's behind the zipper requires spreading two flaps horizontally. however, inside, behind those horizontally separated flaps is a a vertically oriented pocket for which you have to pull outward in order to access. the main space for you to pull out anything from the gun pocket is hampered by the termination of the verticle zipper. essentially the inner gun pocket opens up into the part of the zipper that cannot be spread any wider, the corner of the lips created by the centerline zipper. i don't know why a designer would purposely do this. it basically makes for a very small and cumbersome opening.

the loop panel on the inside of the gun pocket is not large enough. in order to draw or holster a gun out of this weird pocket set up the gun has to be canted, either that or you're going to be axially fiddling with the gun to either get it in or out. the loop panel inside the gun pocket does not have enough verticle dimension to support canted mounting in various configurations. you only have the option of mounting the bikini diagonally on the panel to the verticle extremes of the loop panel, this removes any possibitily of mounting the holster deeper into the pocket or less deep into the pocket, basically there's no height adjustment in the pocket if you cant the gun.

i really don't like the idea of jiggling or washingmachining my gun out of a pack, but goodness gracious i've never been so nervous as when i have to holster a gun into this pack, every time i holster a gun into this pack i feel like i am putting my hand into a blackhole and i have no idea if the path into the backpack won't accidentally pull the trigger. i even have a spare holster rigged into the pocket so at least there is some sort of way to tell the gun is headed in the right direction and then eventually i know it's secured with possitive click in a kydex holster (at least that incog was good for something). imagine if i had to use the velcro bikini strap with which the industry expects you to retain a gun in a pack?? terrible.

there are a few good things about this pack: it is the perfect size. it is a great shape. it is unassuming in appearance, which is the whole point. it fits an armor plate. having small pockets in the main cargo area of the bag, placed high up are near the top so they're easy to access, is very helpful. these are all very good qualities for this genre of pack.

here are the things i'd like to see someday:

vertx shot show 2014
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNOO0GAqnXs

vertx mades some innovations this year as far as lining all the insides of their packs with loop velcro. i see no reason not to do this. this simply makes the pack more modular and versatile. adding the 6/12 style velcro panels as an ensemble to each pack is a must. the covert packs are to be devoid of advertising molle/pals on the outside. nothing wrong with having it all on the inside. yes i want to be able to put mag carriers inside the backpack, yes i want to be able to mount a holster inside the pack. no it doesn't have to be vertx tactical oragami, in fact i prefer to mount my favorite kydex inside the backpack (maybe a gcode or a persec), but you must first give me the ability to do so. if it's the case that not everyone in the industry can copy vertx then at least give me the pals webbing on the inside on top of the velcro so i truly have options for responsibly mounting a firearm.

i feel the industry has to get away from expecting the end user to fashion a holster out of velcro. serious end users don't do it for their belts, chest rigs or plate carriers. why would the backpack be the one niche where that's acceptable? it's a firearm and on top of that it's in the least secure place on your body, and what i mean by that is it's NOT ON YOUR BODY. why should i be satisfied with a velcro solution? i need my favorite kydex or favorite plastic holster mounted in the bag. i might even need my hsgi tacos to hold mags and knives, although i will admit it is not as dire if i'm forced to mount mags and knives with velcro.

i really hate to say it, but blackhawk made a better product.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Blo...,1826,1561.htm

after i saw this bag in person i wish i had bought this instead. the zippers are smooth and easy to use. there's molle/pals on the inside of the bag so you can easily do a horizontal mount of your favorite holster. a quick zip down the side of the bag would get you instant, positive, eyes free access to your weapon if the bag was slung in front of you. i understand that if the bag were on your back and some nefarious individual from behind unzipped your pack your snuck a peak and saw your firearm that would invite a terrible situation, however i would not use this pack in such an instance. i only used this pack to go to the gym. if i'm in a crowd or i'm out and about, i won't keep my firearm in a backpack, i will keep it on my person. i use this bag for the limited purpose of keeping my firearm on me or close to me during the limited time that i'm unable to conceal it on my person. if i were forced to use the backpack in a place where someone might fish through it while it was on my back, i would wear it on my front. situational awareness and risk mitigation is a duty and responsibility when carrying a firearm.

i wish i had purchased the blackhawk bag and cut the pals webbing off the outside, or mounted a pouch on the outside to cover it up.
    Last edited by trinydex; 03-14-14 at 00:08.

Feedback Score
    I've got the pack and find it well suited to an essentials only pack. It excels for my use.

I totally agree that it is not a concealed carry pack. As noted, it'll fail if you try to make it one.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have the GGG stealth pack as well and find that the extra material/sand trap gets in the way of the zipper. No big deal for everyday use/access but it could be fatal if one needed access to their CCW in an emergency.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have one, and I really like it. I use mine for my get home bag, but I don't use it to carry a pistol.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    28 (97%)
    I have one…*it's a well built, really lightweight bag. HORRID for drawing/re-holstering. (I can't imagine trying to holster it loaded!) You might want to try the new Vertx EDC bags… although be forewarned… the gamut is a heck of a lot bigger than GGG Pack.

Feedback Score
    looking for more edc backpack info

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Voodooman did a great review on the Vertx Gamut. I've been carrying the 5.11 covert pack for a couple of years every day and liked it. I recently switched to the Vertx Satchel for every day. I like the look of it better than carrying a backpack to work. It's perfect for an iPad, some edc items, work stuff, and I like the setup for stowing/accessing a G19. I'm still in the honeymoon phase right now but may do a review a few months from now.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have generally been very happy with Maxpedition products that have specific areas for fire arms, with velcro, and their universal holster, surprisingly stable and easy to draw from. Their additional velcro attacked stuff, also great for flashlights, etc. Only negative for some is the tacti-cool look of their stuff, but in terms of functionality I have always been impressed with their designs. I have 5 of their bags and might get a 6th. Most used, probably the Sitka:

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...GER-37p926.htm

Love that bag and as bags go, accessing a fire arms quickly and smoothly (with practice of course) is decent.

In black, it does not scream tacti-cool to me, but it's not the most visually understated/visually low key bag around either.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I played with one of these the other day. I am very impressed. Not cheap, but very well thought out.

http://www.wearvertx.com/edc-commuter-bag.aspx

Very fast access to the pistol. It doesnt look like a weapons bag.
    Last edited by signal4l; 09-12-14 at 08:42.

Feedback Score
    the stealth operator looks the best and most low profile, but the EDC gamut looks the most practical

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast