Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training with a 1911 .45 acp

Feedback Score

Training with a 1911 .45 acp

I enjoy training but am now finding that qaulity ammo can cost as much as or more than the course. I don't want to buy lesser quality stuff and increase the chance of malfunction but at some point (unless I reload) that may be my only option. I could switch to another platform but I beleive the 1911 and P7 are the best fit for me.

I was looking at a few 1911's chambered in 9mm (because shooting 300-400 rounds per day through a P7 could get painful) and wondered:
    Are there any drawbacks to training with a 1911 chambered in 9mm versus one chambered in .45acp?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Other than a different recoil sensation, I can't think of any.

-RD62

Feedback Score
    Perfect. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    I really liked training with my old Yobo 1* 1911 chambered in 9mm. It was excellent in every regard with the exception of having a different recoil than my 45. The difference in recoil beats using a .22LR conversion kit to save money.

My thing was to make sure the sights were the same between both guns so that I would have the exact same sight picture. It's better than training on a G17 and carrying a G21 since the 1911's were the same dimensions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Will you be shooting a single stank or high-capacity pistol? The reason I ask is because single stack 9mm 1911 magazines are a little finicky. Metalform makes a good 9mm magazine and I understand Wilson Combat just came out with a magazine for single stack 9mm magazine. I have not used either so I can't attest to their durability but it is something you might want to keep in mind. I hope this helps.

S/F
    Product Manager at Magpul Industries

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy0861 View Post
    Will you be shooting a single stank or high-capacity pistol? The reason I ask is because single stack 9mm 1911 magazines are a little finicky. Metalform makes a good 9mm magazine and I understand Wilson Combat just came out with a magazine for single stack 9mm magazine. I have not used either so I can't attest to their durability but it is something you might want to keep in mind. I hope this helps.

S/F
    I will shoot single stack. I will start researching the mags you mentioned.

Feedback Score
    The Metalforms is what I used and is what came with my Yobo that I bought used. They fed without issue for the 500 rounds I ran through it before moving to the Glock platform. Two of my six mags did stop locking the slide back, but I have no idea how many rounds were run through those mags before I took ownership.

ToddG Guest
    Shooting a smaller caliber weapon is doable as long as you keep a few things in mind:

• Don't practice exclusively with the lighter recoiling gun.
    • Begin and end your shooting sessions with the carry gun, and specifically with some speed work to get dialed back in on the recoil/flip and proper control. You can do other stuff after the speed drills, but don't go back to the 9mm again. The last time you shoot a gun fast, it should be your .45 if you're going to carry it.
    • The price of a quality reliable 9mm 1911 might be high enough to offset the difference in cost for a fair quantity of .45 Auto ammo.

Feedback Score
    If I am going to carry a .45 ACP 1911, I'll train with a .45 ACP 1911.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    If I am going to carry a .45 ACP 1911, I'll train with a .45 ACP 1911.
    I must admit that changing to the Glock 19 made a lot of sense for me as to carrying the EXACT gun that I practice with. I was able to sell my 9mm 1911 for the price of three new Glock 19's setup the exact same (carry gun, range/down gun, nightstand gun).

Doing this doesn't give me any concern over whether working with my 9mm 1911 was going to do be any harm over working/carrying my 45 1911.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast