Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: true brake verses hybrid

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    If you don't need a suppressor mount, and aren't worried about flash, I would recommend just going with a good brake.
    They are all going to have noticeably more lateral blast and ground disturbance than an A2, might as well make it worth it.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Shooting from a bipod you should be able to manage recoil to see impacts by simply making changes to your body positioning and bipod loading especially for light recoiling cartridges like 5.56. Are you loading up in the bipod to manage recoil or just allowing the rifle to sit? What bipod are you using? Are you positioning your body/shoulder behind the rifle or are you positioned at an angle or bladed? These are all factors which affect recoil management.
    Another question is what magnification are you using and what distances are you having issues. More magnification magnifies movement and sometimes people use more than necessary compounding other issues they are having with recoil management.

The point I'm making is that for a SPR you shouldn't need any type of brake and a good flash hider would cost less and potentially serve you better.
    Last edited by wahoo95; 03-17-14 at 10:15.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    Shooting from a bipod you should be able to manage recoil to see impacts by simply making changes to your body positioning and bipod loading especially for light recoiling cartridges like 5.56. Are you loading up in the bipod to manage recoil or just allowing the rifle to sit? What bipod are you using? Are you positioning your body/shoulder behind the rifle or are you positioned at an angle or bladed? These are all factors which affect recoil management.
    Another question is what magnification are you using and what distances are you having issues. More magnification magnifies movement and sometimes people use more than necessary compounding other issues they are having with recoil management.

The point I'm making is that for a SPR you shouldn't need any type of brake and a good flash hider would cost less and potentially serve you better.
    I was going to say this. Once you learn to load the bipod and position your body you will be fine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    I was going to say this. Once you learn to load the bipod and position your body you will be fine.
    It turns out it's a non-issue.

I built this rifle for my wife. She had never fired a scoped weapon before and only fired any rifle a hand full of times ( she runs her p220 like a rock star).

after sight in. At 100 yards, 10-15 mph from 10:00 to 4:00 sustained gusts up to 25. She fired four 5 round groups the best was 1.625" and one 10 round group 2.445.

She was using my hand loads, 69gr Sierra mk loaded at 2,750fps.

She moved up to a 500 yard steel turkey and with around a 50"/10" hold over she was able to score repeated hits with me calling her holds.

She says she is able to see the rounds striking the target. so we will leave every thing as is for now.

I am amazed at how well she did and she says she loved it. And can't wait to stretch out the range, I've explained that after 500 yards it gets substantially harder but she seems very confident. Our range goes out to 1000yds maybe I'll barrow a .338 lapua from work and let her play lol.
    Last edited by cemoulton; 03-17-14 at 23:24.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I can't believe it.
    The one time I don't push technique/proficiency over a material solution, the guy goes and listens to the folks recommending proper technique.
    My faith in the internet is shaken.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Every now and then the internet throws a curveball, Hondo-roll and get back to your feet.
    Last edited by LAWMENS; 03-18-14 at 10:10.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I can't believe it.
    The one time I don't push technique/proficiency over a material solution, the guy goes and listens to the folks recommending proper technique.
    It's an early Pentecost. Don't let your faith be shaken Jedi.
    “Beware unearned wisdom.” Jung

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I can't believe it.

Hey don't let it get you down. Maybe i'm just cheap and wanted an excuse not to spend $150 on a loudening device.

Seriously though you guys have a wealth of earned knowledge that you are handing out for free and I'm far to old to learn things the hard way (I just don't have that kind of time)

As I said this is my wife's first rifle. I've been a hunter from the time I was old enough to carry my own weapon and am a fairly decent shot. Also being a loader for most of my adult life and loading everyday for my employment ( work at a class 6) I have a deep understanding of ballistics. But I've not spent much time shooting from a bipod or trying for tiny groups without a lead sled.

I would feel like an ass if I imparted my bad habits or poor skill set to a new shooter when experienced skilled people have offered free gained knowledge.

Thank you guys for your help.

Cemoulton

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My battlecomp does an excellent job, eels like shooting a 22.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artifact View Post
    ... eels like shooting a 22.
    But they don't have arms.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast