Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: White Oak Bolt vs BCM Bolt?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawdog-1 View Post
    I try to search this forum and AR15.com for parts that are rated Top Shelf. I know that BCM bolt and all of their parts are rated Top Shelf. I can't find enough information to compare White Oak bolt. I look to buy parts I could trust and not to buy parts that will have a short life while being ran hard or easy. How would you rate White Oak Bolt?

IF WOA sells Stag/CMT bolts it should be a mil spec bolt and marked MPI on it. CMT is Stags parent company and they are a DOD contractor that actually machines the bolts. Many companies buy bolts from companies like Microbest who manufacture many of the bolts for Colt and probably BCM. Carpenter alloy 158 is allotted to the DOD contractors. Most manufacturers can not buy carp 158.

The max yield strength of 8620 is 121,000psi. Max bolt thrust it will handle with a 2:1 safety factor is 6352 PSI
    The max yield strength of Carp 158 and 9310 is apx 162,000psi. Max bolt thrust it will handle with a safety factor of 2:1 is 8505 psi
    Carp 158 and 9310 bolts are apx 25% stronger than civilian grade bolts made from 8620.

Bolt trust created by a 5.56 at 58,000psi is 6337

In the last 20 years I have seen more bolts break at the cam pin hole from over-gassed carbines (carbine gas)than lugs break in any configuration.
    If you want your bolts to last longer get rid of the carbine gas barrel and make sure the gas port is the correct size.
    Last edited by constructor; 03-30-14 at 18:32.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    If you want your bolts to last longer get rid of the carbine gas barrel and make sure the gas port is the correct size.
    Does that mean to go with the gas piston style barrel? Sorry for the newbie question .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Supragrom View Post
    Does that mean to go with the gas piston style barrel? Sorry for the newbie question .
    No, IMO piston rifles are harder on bolts than DI rifles. A mid gas barrel would be easier on the bolt than a carbine length gas system considering both are either DI or both are piston.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    No, IMO piston rifles are harder on bolts than DI rifles. A mid gas barrel would be easier on the bolt than a carbine length gas system considering both are either DI or both are piston.
    Cool, thanks, now I know , also your help led me to this http://www.03designgroup.com/technot...gth-gas-system .

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345