Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Badly misaligned feed ramps on Colt upper... something to worry about?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Before doing anything, take a BCG and run it in & out to see how the bolt lugs line up with the barrel extension. If it fits fine, it may be possible to fix the ramps.

Nobody knows if Colt will warranty the upper or even work on it except Colt. We've seen many fine examples of manufacturers stepping up and taking care of their customers. Contact Colt and ask them what your options are. They might pleasantly surprise you
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Mis-aligned pretty bad! I would be unhappy with it. But with that said, I've always been under the impression that m4 feed ramps really aren't "needed" on a semi-auto. I've read about people swapping m4 ramped barrels to rifle uppers without dremeling extended ramps into upper to match barrel. I've always heard it explained that the bullets when loading will rarely hit the extended ramp anyways. Whats you guys thoughts on this?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I would try to remove the barrel from the receiver and then go with a known good quality upper receiver and see where the ramps on the extension are in relation to the new known receiver. If GTG, leave the new receiver on. If not GTG then it's the extension that is FUBAR and at that point I would try to shoot it. But maybe get a no go guage just to check and make sure that bolt is fully seating through the lugs. Agreed with up above, I would think if it was the extension that was torqued too far, the bolt would not lock.

As for the post above mine, no ramps on a rifle receiver with feed ramps on the extension are good to go. It's when the extension ramps protrude past the receiver that doesn't have the M4 ramps, is when you'll run into problems.
    Professional Babysitter

Feedback Score
    To me it looks like the receiver is fine, the barrel/extension looks like it's off. That being said, if it locks up OK it will probably shoot just fine. Something like that would really bother me, being a perfectionist and all. You could fix that with a dremel.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Send a PM to member bjt72, Brent Turchi is Colts Custom Shop and Customer Resolutions manager. He can point you in the right direction.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    By eyeballing the feed ramps for both the extension and receiver, placement for the ones on the receiver do not look to be centered with the bottom lug for the pivot pin, I may be wrong though. If that's what it is and if they won't take care of it, at least a new stripped receiver is cheap, Good luck.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hygienist View Post
    Pretty sure it's legit Colt since it came in a sealed bag, and it has C marks on the upper and the barrel.
    Colt has never sold upper receiver groups that came in a bag. This upper either came on a carbine or as an LE6920CK in a blue box.

More than likely, the index pin was not installed in the correct location on the barrel extension. Pull the hand guards and see if there is a 0, G or different letter stamped into the chamber swell. This will tell us if it is a Colt manufactured barrel or a Colt contract unit. While the hand guards are off, look and see when the barrel was manufactured. I'm guessing it was manufactured over a year ago as Colt is no longer shipping carbines with carry handles.

Colt Firearm Repair
    Last edited by MarkG; 03-22-14 at 19:39.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    From the pics it appears to be the receiver and not the barrel that's misaligned.
    Agreed, and I'd think that would be good news!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
    Colt has never sold upper receiver groups that came in a bag. This upper either came on a carbine or as an LE6920CK in a blue box.

Not sure what you mean by this statement.

Colt has sold plenty of conversion kit uppers from the mid 1980s until now that came in a brown cardboard box with the upper inside the box in a sealed bag.

The blue presentation box ones from 2010 to 2011 are just more recent.

The upper in question in the OPs post is just a case of less than stellar workmanship. This upper probably has a C AF forge code?
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    Mis-aligned pretty bad! I would be unhappy with it. But with that said, I've always been under the impression that m4 feed ramps really aren't "needed" on a semi-auto. I've read about people swapping m4 ramped barrels to rifle uppers without dremeling extended ramps into upper to match barrel. I've always heard it explained that the bullets when loading will rarely hit the extended ramp anyways. Whats you guys thoughts on this?
    I agree Leaveammo but if it's a real Colt upper you expect more. kwg

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast