Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Armorers Tool Box/Parts Storage

Feedback Score

Armorers Tool Box/Parts Storage

What are you armorers using for small parts, and tools for the AR?
    I know there are a thousand "small parts boxes" out there, but I've yet to find exactly what I'm looking for.
    Something portable would be the ticket for me, and what I'm looking for. However, I surely don't want anything TOO small.
    I have thought about this, and honestly, the only thing I can think of, would be a nice "tackle box"-like parts box, with a handle on top, and about the size of a large tackle box for fishing.
    However, MOST of these I see for sale, just don't have the tray storage area I need. It would be nice to have all different sizes of tray slots, for different size parts, and tools.
    Hell, I don't know what would really be IDEAL here.
    As I said before, ideally, it would be large enough to keep the majority of my Armorers tools/spare parts, while at the same time, it wouldn't be TOO big, so I could take it to the range or to classes if need be.
    I'm not so sure such a creation exists, but I thought I'd ask what everyone here is doing? Is a portable toolbox with seperate small parts box "inserts" the best ticket here???
    What are you guys using?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    For small parts and springs and such I store them in boxes like these from the Container Store.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse...2&PRODID=71929
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Yes, that is what I was kind of thinking for the interior storage, INSIDE of the MAIN BAG.

Have you guys seen those fishing tackle "bags", that have several of the above shown plastic boxes inside?
    Well, most of them are SUPER UBER CHEAP these days, and just totally suck.

I'll tell you what would be totally IDEAL, would be a custom OD colored nylon/cordura tactical-like MOLLE BAG, similar to a fishing tackle bag/range bag, which held some of those plastic boxes inside!
    Add a shoulder strap, and some MOLLE webbing on the exterior, along with some pouches/pockets also on the exterior, and BAM, we'd have ourselves the Ultimate Portable Armorers Toolbox. (UPAT).
    I wonder if I could find a good sized Range Bag made by Eagle/etc, which would house some of those plastic, tackle-type-small-parts-boxes??? Even better, would be MOLLE webbing/pouches/slots on the exterior, along with a nice shoulder strap, as noted above. Ok, so add in a velcro area on top, for custom patches/etc too. Hell, why not go all out on it?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I believe that have purchased some of the small parts containers from Brownells. I use a Pelican case as my "mobile armory". I cut out the shapes for the various tools and then the top section foam where I stick the parts containers with high wear/loss/breakage items. It gives me the option to lock it up and pretty much roll out with what I need inside.

Feedback Score
    Here's one lead so far, but for some odd reason, Eagle doesn't list the size/dimensions?
    It's not perfect, but a start.

A little on the expensive side, for this application, but I suppose it could also house some ammo, and cleaning equiptment too. Unfortunately, I don't see a QUALITY cleaning rod storage solution though. I've always wished Dewey would come up with a 3 piece, break-down, coated rod, which of course would unscrew in three seperate pieces, for storing in small packs/bags...

http://www.eagleindustries.com/prd_d...10&SubCatID=10

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I believe that have purchased some of the small parts containers from Brownells. I use a Pelican case as my "mobile armory". I cut out the shapes for the various tools and then the top section foam where I stick the parts containers with high wear/loss/breakage items. It gives me the option to lock it up and pretty much roll out with what I need inside.

What size Pelican Case are we talking about here? I know it's a hard case, as most Pelicans are.
    What size, and shape? Suitcase style carrying handle, or strap over the shoulder?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Depending on what you want to carry and have on hand may determine the container size. I get mine from Walmart in the Fishing section. The larger ones will hold bolt carriers, buffers and recoil spring. Aside from the spring, having small parts in the range bag will allow a small one. If you want something more robust, the smaller Otter boxes may be better since it will take abuse more so. I just double bag the samll parts in my range bag since it takes up less space. If you go with a container, I would highly recommend putting small parts in a baggie in the event you drop it, it breaks, etc.

One other tidbit is to group parts into the component groups.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I believe it's the Pelican 1600. I wanted the size in case I have to break a weapon down and take it back with me. I can also transport pistols in there as well, so for me it is multi-purpose. Plus, it hold tools for more than just AR's.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cataldo View Post
    What size Pelican Case are we talking about here? I know it's a hard case, as most Pelicans are.
    What size, and shape? Suitcase style carrying handle, or strap over the shoulder?

Feedback Score

Lightbulb

I picked this up at The Container Store and it works well for me. Lots of great items there for making order, out of mess.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse...2&PRODID=70441
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    I use one of these plastic organizers too and keep everything in an ammo box.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast