Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparing for basic training

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi57 View Post
    What I've read so far are all reasonable things to consider. As mentioned, there are other threads available here that may help to give you a few tips and perhaps muddy the water.

My info is ancient (BCT 1/77) but I do remember a couple quirky things FWIW:

1) a kid had a tooth that was bothering him early on and he kept ignoring it, fearing he would miss training and get recycled. He hoped it would get better and ended up with an abscess and a lot of grief. So maybe a visit to the dentist in the next month or so to make sure you don't have any looming problems. You will likely get a cursory oral exam/xrays in the first few days but it is probably best to take a preventive approach if you're at all prone to dental issues. Funny how we remember odd things about basic.

2) The footgear of the time really bugged my feet and it took weeks to get used to jogging/running in boots and humping out to the range and back. I often thought it would have been a good idea to buy a pair at a surplus store prior to heading to FLW to make sure of my size and to do PT in them (like you're doing). Moleskin was helpful, stick a few sheets in your Dopp kit. Take care of your feet.

Good luck and just do what you're told.

kiwi57
    I had some teeth issues while I was in BCT. They will fix them while you are in as they will have days specifically for CAT issues. I had all types of cavities and had quite a bit of work done and I did not miss any training.

Feedback Score
    Good to hear. My experience was looong ago and the clear implication at the time was that going on sick call was an attention-getter with the potential to set you back. "CAT" sounds like a big improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Endur View Post
    I had some teeth issues while I was in BCT. They will fix them while you are in as they will have days specifically for CAT issues. I had all types of cavities and had quite a bit of work done and I did not miss any training.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Good to hear. My experience was looong ago and the clear implication at the time was that going on sick call was an attention-getter with the potential to set you back. "CAT" sounds like a big improvement.
    CAT stands for category; they put individuals dental issues in separate categories. If you had any CAT-3 issues, you had to get them fixed before you could graduate. Anything above CAT-3 the Army wouldn't let you do a whole lot as far as going places. You can't even clear out if you are ETS'ing if you have a CAT-3. They usually scheduled any medical or dental stuff on Sundays when it was bay maintenance day/church services etc.
    Last edited by Endur; 03-27-14 at 01:22.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    2) The footgear of the time really bugged my feet and it took weeks to get used to jogging/running in boots and humping out to the range and back. I often thought it would have been a good idea to buy a pair at a surplus store prior to heading to FLW to make sure of my size and to do PT in them (like you're doing). Moleskin was helpful, stick a few sheets in your Dopp kit. Take care of your feet.
    I constantly had blisters and wore moleskin like a second set of socks. It's gotten better since we've moved away from leather boots though.

Converse boots are extremely comfortable... just sayin'.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    I spent 22 years in the Navy, so the tidbits I give you are going to be generalized military lessons learned.

Put aside 10-20% of your pay into a retirement account, and swear you will never pull it out. The years creep up very fast.

Pick your MOS wisely. My nephew went into IT, I think he was a 25b, spent 6 years in. He got out and is now pulling down $145K as an IT guru at Dollar Tree.

The military is a snapshot of American society. Good people and not so good people. Choose friends and the people you associate with wisely.
    Tattoos are permanent. What seems like a great idea at age 22, may not please a new girl or prospective employer at age 30.
    Avoid the easy credit/debt trap. Many businesses near bases make their livelihood off the military selling cheap junk marked up 100-200%. Regardless of what you are told, Friendly Joes Auto's is not in the business of making friends.

Learn the difference between "I want" and "I need".

IF A PROMISE IS NOT IN BLACK AND WHITE, IT DOES NOT EXIST. (And even then, congress can reneg on a promise.)
    Enjoy your time in the service. Thank you for wanting to serve.
    The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed – where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

Member:VCDL,GOA,NRA,NSSF,Oathkeepers

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khackee View Post
    I spent 22 years in the Navy, so the tidbits I give you are going to be generalized military lessons learned.

Put aside 10-20% of your pay into a retirement account, and swear you will never pull it out. The years creep up very fast.

Pick your MOS wisely. My nephew went into IT, I think he was a 25b, spent 6 years in. He got out and is now pulling down $145K as an IT guru at Dollar Tree.

The military is a snapshot of American society. Good people and not so good people. Choose friends and the people you associate with wisely.
    Tattoos are permanent. What seems like a great idea at age 22, may not please a new girl or prospective employer at age 30.
    Avoid the easy credit/debt trap. Many businesses near bases make their livelihood off the military selling cheap junk marked up 100-200%. Regardless of what you are told, Friendly Joes Auto's is not in the business of making friends.

Learn the difference between "I want" and "I need".

IF A PROMISE IS NOT IN BLACK AND WHITE, IT DOES NOT EXIST. (And even then, congress can reneg on a promise.)
    Enjoy your time in the service. Thank you for wanting to serve.
    All very true - great points.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Don't be a pussy.

Have fun.

*ETA: Why do you want to join the Army? What do you imagine yourself doing in the Army in 12 months? In 3 years? What are your life goals related to military service?
    Last edited by GTF425; 03-27-14 at 06:45.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Much of my experience (1968) no longer applies. I hear they are not allowed to hit, kick or even swear at you these days. But some things are eternal.

All the advice about your feet is right on. Buy a pair of the exact current issue boots and run, walk, climb and exercise in them. Change socks often.

Your physical condition is already better than probably 90% of your fellow trainees. But you will still be aching and worn out for at least the first few weeks. Do NOT flaunt your superior conditioning. The cadre will just work harder to wear you out.

Long marches and runs have a caterpillar/accordion effect. People move at different rates and the line stretches wayyy out. Those near the back have to work extra hard to catch up. Stay as far forward as you can.

You will be hungry all the time. If the guy next to you hates liver, make damn sure a drill sergeant doesn't catch you eating his. You may have to eat liver until you puke.

Show some moral courage by not participating in blanket or GI parties. They often get out of hand and you will not feel good about yourself.

If the latrine is placed off limits and you sneak outside to do your business at 3am, make sure you are on another barracks property. Makes for entertaining morning police call.

When you realize that nobody can can get that furious so quickly and often, you can enjoy the show. A lot of doofusses (doofi?) never do get it.

Oh, and if you raise your hand when they ask, "Who knows how to type?", expect to be handed a shovel while the others are dismissed.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Khackee View Post

I think this is the most important aspect. As the clicks form remain neutral, pick your buddies wisely and stay out of the petty squables that arise over things like; where the fans are placed at night, or who took to long in the shower. Do more than your fair share and don't look for any credit. Those who don't pull their weight will pay in the long run. Use fireguard duty as late night quiet study time whether you can read or just go over training in your head.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by uffdaphil View Post
    Much of my experience (1968) no longer applies. I hear they are not allowed to hit, kick or even swear at you these days. But some things are eternal.

All the advice about your feet is right on. Buy a pair of the exact current issue boots and run, walk, climb and exercise in them. Change socks often.

Your physical condition is already better than probably 90% of your fellow trainees. But you will still be aching and worn out for at least the first few weeks. Do NOT flaunt your superior conditioning. The cadre will just work harder to wear you out.

Long marches and runs have a caterpillar/accordion effect. People move at different rates and the line stretches wayyy out. Those near the back have to work extra hard to catch up. Stay as far forward as you can.

You will be hungry all the time. If the guy next to you hates liver, make damn sure a drill sergeant doesn't catch you eating his. You may have to eat liver until you puke.

Show some moral courage by not participating in blanket or GI parties. They often get out of hand and you will not feel good about yourself.

If the latrine is placed off limits and you sneak outside to do your business at 3am, make sure you are on another barracks property. Makes for entertaining morning police call.

When you realize that nobody can can get that furious so quickly and often, you can enjoy the show. A lot of doofusses (doofi?) never do get it.

Oh, and if you raise your hand when they ask, "Who knows how to type?", expect to be handed a shovel while the others are dismissed.
    The swearing thing is definitely BS, at least for Benning. I've heard rumors about cards that can be held up if it gets to be too much for recruits and the DS has to lay off , but have never seen them so I don't know that there is any merit to that. Physical contact is definitely a big no no.

The slinky effect is brutal. I was in 4th PLT so we started every march (except the final one) in the rear and were not allowed to pass anyone. The 6 mile was by far the worst because we had to run almost the entire time.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast