Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Removing BCM KMR rail for installation of IWC keymod bipod mount

Feedback Score

Removing BCM KMR rail for installation of IWC keymod bipod mount

I just received an IWC keymod bipod mount in the mail. The installation requires removing the rail as the mount goes into the keymod slot from behind.

How difficult is it to remove just the rail for this installation? I simply need to be able to slip in the mount from the interior of the rail. It doesn't fit between the barrel and the rail, so the rail needs to be removed.

Do I just need to remove the cross set torx bolts on the rail near the upper receiver? It doesn't seem like I should have to mess with the barrel nut, gas block or anything else, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks for any info.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If that is truly the case, that product is fukking retarded and defeats the whole purpose of keymod in my humble opinion.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I'm inclined to agree.

The only potential saving grace is that this mount allows rotation on the yaw axis, which, according to the Harris Bipods site, normally requires their big, clunky $90 Rota-Pod adapter. This thing was 8 bucks and their other products have been great.

If removing the rail isn't a monumental pain in the rump, I may give this thing a try.
    Last edited by TexanInCali; 03-27-14 at 15:56.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Makes me want to make one of those posters....

"KEYMOD....

You're doing it WRONG!"
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Its easily removed and doesn't require you to do anything with the barrel nut or gas block

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I may give it a try tonight.

Upon further inspection, it doesn't really let the bipod rotate, but it is tiny and weighs next to nothing, so it might work out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    Its easily removed and doesn't require you to do anything with the barrel nut or gas block
    You weren't kidding. It was very easy to remove and reinstall. Took all of five minutes.

I actually like the mount.

Manufacturer's photo.
    productimage-picture-keymod-bipod-mount-n-slot-629.jpg

Feedback Score
    For future reference, here is the BCM installation guide for the KMR.

http://www.bravocompanymfg.com/downl...structions.pdf

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexanInCali View Post
    You weren't kidding. It was very easy to remove and reinstall. Took all of five minutes.
    Well that's good. I've not installed one, but a few here have made it sound like a challenge.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Well that's good. I've not installed one, but a few here have made it sound like a challenge.
    ... the same folks who describe putting a factory upper, complete lower, BCG/CH, optic, and iron sights together and describing it as a full custom build.

From the drawing I've seen, both the KMR, NSR, and Geissele Rails are fairly simple to install/uninstall from the bespoke barrel nut, so that to me is a reflection of how well engineered those designs are.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast