Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Removing BCM KMR rail for installation of IWC keymod bipod mount

Feedback Score
    To be fair, I only removed the handguard. This involved removing two torx bolts and pulling hard. The rest of the installation doesn't seem too difficult though. You just need the right wrench from BCM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You just get yours? Me too. Had to remove my NSR, no biggie, i love that mount its solid!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    sorry for my ignorance, since I'm very new keymod accessories. I thought, the whole point of keymod is able to slide in an accessory without having to remove a rail as seen in this video

Not trying to be smart or offend, just trying to learn.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Does the IWC bipod mount actually fit the keymod opening right? I have a Noveske TRX/NSR bipod mount here which is supposed to work with keymod, but there's no way I can see for it to work. You can kind of half-assed install it in the keymod opening but it doesn't really index into the opening on the back side, so the backing plate ends up all crooked and I just don't trust it. I can flip the backing plate over to fix that, but then the thread engagement is almost nothing...it *will* end up pulling out.
    Last edited by krichbaum; 03-27-14 at 20:58.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Deleted....not paying attention
    Last edited by jaxman7; 03-27-14 at 21:33.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet432 View Post
    You just get yours? Me too. Had to remove my NSR, no biggie, i love that mount its solid!
    Just came in today. They sold way more than expected and were a little backed up. I'm liking it as well.
    Last edited by TexanInCali; 03-27-14 at 21:56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledanek View Post
    I thought, the whole point of keymod is able to slide in an accessory without having to remove a rail as seen in this video.
    You're correct. This is definitely a non-standard keymod attachment. It seems like a design they had for other modular handguards and adapted it to work with keymod.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by krichbaum View Post
    Does the IWC bipod mount actually fit the keymod opening right.
    Sorry to hear about the Noveske mount. I almost ordered one out of impatience with waiting for this IWC model.

The IWC mount fits well on my BCM KMR and SilverBullet432 has it on the NSR in the photo above. The design for these is a little different than the Noveske mount. The mount body is a one piece unit (with no separate backing plate) that goes in from the interior side of the keymod slot and fits in the larger, round part of the slot. The mount has an rubber o-ring so it fits nicely. The whole thing is held on by metal snap ring. It seems like a good mount and it costs $8, so I'm willing to try it out.
    Last edited by TexanInCali; 03-27-14 at 22:01.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by krichbaum View Post
    Does the IWC bipod mount actually fit the keymod opening right? I have a Noveske TRX/NSR bipod mount here which is supposed to work with keymod, but there's no way I can see for it to work. You can kind of half-assed install it in the keymod opening but it doesn't really index into the opening on the back side, so the backing plate ends up all crooked and I just don't trust it. I can flip the backing plate over to fix that, but then the thread engagement is almost nothing...it *will* end up pulling out.
    The Noveske trx bipod is perfect for keymod, I've been running it for like a year or so, it's completely rock solid.

It comes with the stud, a hat shaped plastic piece, and the backing plate. Slide the backing plate into place over a large keymod hole, with the raised portion facing towards the barrel, not towards the rail. Put the hat shaped plastic piece facing towards the keymod hole (which is upside down from how it normally mounts to a troy rail) and then screw in the bipod stud. To get it aligned, attach a Harris bipod or insert a punch into the hole and gently turn it until it's aligned. I'll take a picture.

With bipod mounted, super low profile!

See how the threaded backing plate has the raised portion towards the barrel? Also notice that the screw part of the stud is basically flush with the backing plate's threaded hole, implying a lot of thread contact.

The plastic hat is upside down... you can't see the top of the hat in this picture since the top is inside of a large keymod hole:

Overall it's very stable and isn't going anywhere. There's enough torque (using the plastic as a crush washer essentially... But only enough torque to align it after it's hand tight) that it's not going to move when the bipod isn't mounted, and the way the bipod works, it physically can't come out if the bipod is mounted and tightened down.

That being said, the IWC version is much cheaper. But at least the Noveske one doesn't require removing your rail, which is only a minor inconvenience anyway.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 03-27-14 at 23:16.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    99 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    If that is truly the case, that product is fukking retarded and defeats the whole purpose of keymod in my humble opinion.
    I agree with that.

I don't know about the IWC, but the Noveske bipod mount doesn't require removing the rail. http://shopnoveske.com/products/trx-...d-bi-pod-mount

edit- Koshin just beat me to it!
    Last edited by col.1981; 03-27-14 at 23:21.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast