Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternative to Zero Tolerance for EDC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I love my Torrent and carry it every day. Tough and very useable in my big hands.
    “Beware unearned wisdom.” Jung

Feedback Score
    Neither the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 nor the Benchmade Griptilians have assisted opening but they're so smooth it's not needed IMO.

Levi
    "They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have used one for about five years now as my EDC. No complaints with the AXIS Lock, excellent S30V steel, reversible carry clip, solid manufacturer. Is having an assisted opening really necessary for your intended use and environment? Benchmade makes this as an exclusive product for KnifeWorks, so you won't find it on their website.

http://www.knifeworks.com/DougRitterRSK.aspx

Benchmade also provides this service for their knives

http://www.benchmade.com/services/lifesharp_service

Or you can go and customize a Griptilian.

http://www.benchmade.com/customize/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Kershaw Blur, they have a new Blackwash line out at $109 price point.

http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/...blur-blackwash

IIRC Kershaw makes Zero Tolerance knvies.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    I have a few Benchmade assisted open knives and prefer my Spydercos. If I had to get another assisted opening it would probably be this one:
    http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmade8...pre-order.aspx

I prefer m390 steel to s30v and I am a sucker for sprint runs, exclusives, and limited editions when it comes to knives.

I know the cost is higher but you gain a lot of value in that you can turn around and sell it for profit when they cease to be made
    Last edited by teutonicpolymer; 04-05-14 at 17:18.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I also own a HEST 2.0. Great knife, DPx has great customer service. The bottle opener works as a wave.

My main complaint is that the pocketclip is not reversable. I may have to send mine in since I think the threads in the spacer got stripped and no longer secure the clip reliably.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I carry a Spyderco P'Kal every day but I wouldn't choose it as an EDC if you're going to be opening boxes and such. I love my Spydies but I'll be damned if not every single one I've owned has developed either the dreaded broken tip syndrome or a chipped blade. S30V has NEVER performed well for me from any manufacturer - I'm not sure why so many people seem to have luck with it. If you don't mind maintaining your knife a bit, go for a Benchmade with a M4 blade - like a Contego or something. That way you won't have to worry about chipping your edge on a cardboard box (ahem, Spyderco). Seriously, if you're going to be using it in a retail environment, just buy an Opinel. They're completely non-offensive, super-inexpensive, cut like the dickens, and can be sharpened by a chimpanzee... and as an added bonus, if a fellow employee ganks it off of you, they're easy and painless to replace.

EDIT:
    I also suggest against a waved knife if you don't want to scare the sheeple. Everytime I pull my P'Kal around strangers, I give someone in the room a heart murmur.

Also, what's your price range? I have a lot of famous custom knife maker friends who can make you exactly what you desire.. for the right price.
    Last edited by Shao; 04-28-14 at 03:51.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Bam!

I use this knife's big brother pretty much every day. It's not my favorite knife, but it is my most carried.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    +1 for Benchmade Griptilian 550. Its very smooth and like the thumb hole opener. I picked up an extra just in case since its said they are being discontinued.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12