Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock ejection and brass to the face

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Glock ejection and brass to the face

While viewing Glockworx's web site, I saw that they offer their own oversized ejector, which is longer than stock ones and may need trimming after installation. So, I now wonder whether or not experimenting with it might provide a remedy for btf issues. The Glock ejector has a vertical dimension(height)that's smaller than a Browning HP, 1911, or CZ. Note that these pistols eject brass through a window much smaller than Glocks. Putting the correct angle on these ejectors is sometimes necessary to kick out brass in a desired direction.

My question: Can the Glock slide be altered to accept a custom ejector having a greater vertical dimension(height)? My logic is that tweaking a beefier ejector might allow the gun smith to control the ejection pattern.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    While viewing Glockworx's web site, I saw that they offer their own oversized ejector, which is longer than stock ones and may need trimming after installation. So, I now wonder whether or not experimenting with it might provide a remedy for btf issues. The Glock ejector has a vertical dimension(height)that's smaller than a Browning HP, 1911, or CZ. Note that these pistols eject brass through a window much smaller than Glocks. Putting the correct angle on these ejectors is sometimes necessary to kick out brass in a desired direction.

My question: Can the Glock slide be altered to accept a custom ejector having a greater vertical dimension(height)? My logic is that tweaking a beefier ejector might allow the gun smith to control the ejection pattern.
    I have actually theorized before that a longer ejector, front to back rather than taller might give superior ejection control. The factory 336 ejector has approximately a .125"(IIRC) gap that the round has to travel before it hits the ejector but is no longer in the chamber. That means it is being pushed upwards by the round behind it and depending on how good a grip the extractor has on the case, it will influence where the ejector hits the fired case, most likely affecting it's trajectory. This stackup of slide velocity, round stack pressure upwards, extractor dimensions, extractor plunger/spring strength and finally case rim dimensions can vary quite a bit between guns and batches of ammo and even over time as a gun wears in.

Both Sig and S&W M&P have ejectors that hit the fired case as soon as it the fired case mouth clears the chamber which is why I think they have much more consistent ejection. They have fewer variables in their tolerance stack.

Now when you extract a unfired cartridge out of a S&W M&P you will cringe when you watch the ejector actually bend slightly as the bullet clears the case mouth so that might be something that could cause problems with a longer ejector on a Glock.

If I had the spare time, I would like to try it, but here lately I haven't even had time to shoot at all.

Feedback Score
    I have a gen 4 19 and was getting hit fairly regularly, all different loads/ammo.
    I used the APEX extractor and it seemed to cure it. No other changes to the pistol.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike56 View Post
    I have a gen 4 19 and was getting hit fairly regularly, all different loads/ammo.
    I used the APEX extractor and it seemed to cure it. No other changes to the pistol.
    Me too. It allowed me to sell the thing with a clear conscience.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post

I messed with timing the ejector on several problematic Glock's (to no avail). The Glock BTF issue is multi-faceted problem that really can only be FULLY cured by lowering the ejection port window and installing the Apex extractor. On top of this, I would use the Wolf + power mag springs.

C4

Feedback Score
    I had a VERY problematic 3rd gen G19 that had this problem.

Totally annoying...but about 3-5 times every mag....I'd get a casing shot straight to the center of my forehead.

The Apex extractor alone cured my gun's problem. I have close to 2200 rounds through the gun AFTER the Apex unit was installed and the thing ejects brass like my old 2ng gen G17. Not one piece to the face or even close.

So you may...or may not need the ejection port lowered. Mine also shows no large brass marks near the port like some problematic Glocks did.

To totally "fix" one of these BTF Glocks requires patience and not one fix does it for every gun. Maybe I got lucky...I don't know but with the Apex part alone...my G19 is humming right along.

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    According to James Yeager, you're a sissy who needs to work out and can't control the recoil.

I on the other hand had the same problem with a gen3 G34. I had the place where I got it from swap out the ejector to a different numbered one and I didn't have any more problems after that. I believe it was part number 30274.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
    I had a VERY problematic 3rd gen G19 that had this problem.

Totally annoying...but about 3-5 times every mag....I'd get a casing shot straight to the center of my forehead.

The Apex extractor alone cured my gun's problem. I have close to 2200 rounds through the gun AFTER the Apex unit was installed and the thing ejects brass like my old 2ng gen G17. Not one piece to the face or even close.

So you may...or may not need the ejection port lowered. Mine also shows no large brass marks near the port like some problematic Glocks did.

To totally "fix" one of these BTF Glocks requires patience and not one fix does it for every gun. Maybe I got lucky...I don't know but with the Apex part alone...my G19 is humming right along.

-brickboy240
    You are indeed one of the lucky ones.. The G19 I had, still had problems even after changing the ejector and installing a Apex extractor, It stopped the BTF, but introduced a new problem...double feeds, I tried fitting the extractor using Apex's instructions, but couldn't get it quite cleared up, it'd still double feed usually about every 200rnds or so. I figured that there was probably more than one issue going on here. At that point, I gave up on it and moved on. I liked it, but after that experience, and the fact it doesn't seem that Glock has the BTF issue fully resolved, I haven't felt the urge to take a spin at the wheel of fortune so to speak, and see if I could get a G19 that works.......Maybe I'll check back in a few years...
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    You could always buy a used 3rd gen G19 or G17...they are out there. The earlier 3rd gen 9mm Glocks were rock solid.

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
    You could always buy a used 3rd gen G19 or G17...they are out there. The earlier 3rd gen 9mm Glocks were rock solid.

-brickboy240
    For right now I'm going to stick with what I have, A P-30 LEM, I'm pretty interested in the striker fired P-30 that's coming out, But we'll have to see how that shakes out. If HK manages to put a decent trigger in it then I'll give it some serious consideration. I'm also interested in the 4.1 LEM that HK is supposed to have parts in the U.S. sometime this year.. Reducing the LEM's pretravel by about 3/16"(that's what it came out to when I converted it from metric) would go a long way to making the LEM a better trigger.. For me, going the 4.1 LEM route would probably make more sense, as well as being a lot less expensive, as I could probably install the parts myself..
    Last edited by ralph; 04-03-14 at 11:33.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast