Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Having a hard time deciding 1x6 or 2.5x10?

Feedback Score
    How much gap are you getting in the 30mm Bobro mounts? I've stuck with ADM only because they're the only ones I've found that don't leave a noticeable gap.

I mean, I get that you want them to be a little spaced when you lay the optic in, a 32mm mount on a 30mm tube wouldn't keep anything in place. But I've had too many other rings/mounts that I could fit a penny in between, and they were cinched down tight enough that I was worried I would damage the scope. I just imagine that those big gaps create a weakness in holding zero...?
    Team Medic, Task Force Zangaro
    "The Cat's Originals"

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
    How much gap are you getting in the 30mm Bobro mounts? I've stuck with ADM only because they're the only ones I've found that don't leave a noticeable gap.

I mean, I get that you want them to be a little spaced when you lay the optic in, a 32mm mount on a 30mm tube wouldn't keep anything in place. But I've had too many other rings/mounts that I could fit a penny in between, and they were cinched down tight enough that I was worried I would damage the scope. I just imagine that those big gaps create a weakness in holding zero...?
    The gap is nothing to worry about, and even so, the Bobro gap is very narrow.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Cool, thank you. One less thing I can blame my shooting on...I'm going to neglect to tell anyone you said that.

I'll be ordering a Bobro this week and giving a shot, now that warm weather is here.
    Team Medic, Task Force Zangaro
    "The Cat's Originals"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    For my uses,I'm assuming I'll be rocking some zoom level in any favorable conditions, so the offset irons are there as an immediate 'I need to shoot something close with reasonable efficiency' option; then at night or other unfavorable conditions, or maybe an optic illumination failure (most likely of these for a low powered variable, dead battery) it's the next best thing to running a cowitnessed optic/iron combination. Since I can't run cowitnessed irons through a variable optic, just revert to the same motion that gets me iron sights when I was previously wanting to come down from 4x-6x zoom without manipulating the optic. In the case of the offset irons, it means being able to run a simpler, lighter, cheaper mount since the need to QD in order to use irons is gone, so the only penalty is the difference in cost between the offset irons and savings on the mount.

All that said, my other very similar carbine runs a Trijicon TR24RT with just MBUS floating under it.

On the cost side, I haven't figured out why Daniel Defense isn't selling Offset 1.5 sights - they make offset mounts, they make fixed iron sights, surely they can machine something cheaper for them to make than a pair of offset mounts and a pair of sights, which would be lighter and simpler.
    under what conditions do you have your scope at any power other than minimum? Just like a red dot it's capable of getting hits on targets up to your ability without magnification. I only increase magnification in circumstances where I need it.

I was speaking specifically of a 1-x scope. if you have a 2.5-10, especially a FFP, I can understand the decision to pair it with offsets. and I can see a definite benefit with an ACOG...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    under what conditions do you have your scope at any power other than minimum? Just like a red dot it's capable of getting hits on targets up to your ability without magnification. I only increase magnification in circumstances where I need it.

I was speaking specifically of a 1-x scope. if you have a 2.5-10, especially a FFP, I can understand the decision to pair it with offsets. and I can see a definite benefit with an ACOG...
    I went with a Mk6 precisely because it can run a lot like an ACOG at distance - if I'm anywhere built up, yes you're right that I'll be at 1x without a doubt, but all my experience combat related has been in similar geography to where I live (outside of city areas) that identification and long range allowed by more zoom is far more prevalent a need from the optic. Huge open expanses, and identification/discrimination of stuff at 400-600m is a requirement The default position for the optic is still being at 1x, where offset irons are merely a 'better than other bad options' choice, but as soon as I crank it to higher zoom, I don't consider it particularly fast to turn the zoom back down, I'd much rather have some unity zoom arrangement to fall back to more immediately. If anything, for any optic more powerful than a 2.5x at the low end I'd argue that the remainder of the setup if tactical use is intended should be an Aimpoint or Deltapoint/RMR sized/type optic ran in conjunction with the primary optic.

Basically, we're in 100% agreement on anything without 1.1x or lower zoom; I'm saying that even if a low powered variable has a 1x option, that offset irons are still a viable and desirable feature if it makes sense with the rest of the rifle, since running cowitnessed irons isn't an option anymore, and all the reasoning behind wanting irons at the ready if you're engaging targets with a 1x optic haven't changed.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    For my uses,I'm assuming I'll be rocking some zoom level in any favorable conditions, so the offset irons are there as an immediate 'I need to shoot something close with reasonable efficiency' option; then at night or other unfavorable conditions, or maybe an optic illumination failure (most likely of these for a low powered variable, dead battery) it's the next best thing to running a cowitnessed optic/iron combination. Since I can't run cowitnessed irons through a variable optic, just revert to the same motion that gets me iron sights when I was previously wanting to come down from 4x-6x zoom without manipulating the optic. In the case of the offset irons, it means being able to run a simpler, lighter, cheaper mount since the need to QD in order to use irons is gone, so the only penalty is the difference in cost between the offset irons and savings on the mount.

All that said, my other very similar carbine runs a Trijicon TR24RT with just MBUS floating under it.

On the cost side, I haven't figured out why Daniel Defense isn't selling Offset 1.5 sights - they make offset mounts, they make fixed iron sights, surely they can machine something cheaper for them to make than a pair of offset mounts and a pair of sights, which would be lighter and simpler.
    This was my thinking, I also want to run a lighter, non QD mount since I would offset irons. I wish DD made their 1.5's in an offset variety. I might look into buying the 1.5's and putting them on their offset mounts. What offset irons do you use/ recommend? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PAWs 21 View Post
    This was my thinking, I also want to run a lighter, non QD mount since I would offset irons. I wish DD made their 1.5's in an offset variety. I might look into buying the 1.5's and putting them on their offset mounts. What offset irons do you use/ recommend? Thanks.
    Right now the KAC units are still the gold standard, but if you can afford to wait, do. I ranted in some other thread that if DD made O1.5 sights (the same sight top halves as their A1.5 sights, the bottoms off their 1 o'clock offset mounts) they'd replace all but the KAC offerings, and it seems inevitable that Magpul will roll out with some too... the availability of the KAC Offsets are bad, hence why I can probably sell my used ones for what I paid for it, but if you're able to wait, I'm pretty confident somebody will figure out that a light, simple, durable set of offsets at around $80/sight would make a killing.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678