Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live Free or Die

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Live Free or Die

I'm interested in learning more about New Hampshire as a place to relocate. We're still about 2 years away, so nothing urgent, but I do want to learn more about the area. What are the pros and cons of living there? The Free State Project guys compiled a pretty good list of 101 reasons to move there.

We have 2 little guys, 3yo and 1yo, so schools, community and that type of thing will be important to us. I'd like to have enough property to have a nice garden and a small "hobby farm" if at all possible. Does this sound feasible?

I've spent some time in NY, upstate which is fantastic, and Manhattan, and Boston as well, but I haven't spent any time in NH. My wife's sister lives near Syracuse, NY and her brother lives in Boston so we're definitely gonna be somewhere in the NE. Is there anywhere else we should be considering?

This is mostly a feeler thread and I'd appreciate any input, thoughts or considerations that you might have. Thanks!

Live Free or Die.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You might find http://freestateproject.org informative. Bunch of info on all your queries. I'm hoping to move over there one of these days myself.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Any particular area in NH you were looking at? Just like other states there nice places and other places I wouldn't want to live. How many acres of land were you looking at? As long as you don't mind a bit of a drive off the highway you can probably what you are looking for. If you pick the right town you could land in a good school district without high taxes. Guessing you have read already about the no income or sales tax. I have lived in NH my whole life, when the wife and I were looking to buy we had wanted to be in the Derry area but found that we got a little more house for the money and lower property taxes above Concord. From here I am about an hour from Portsmouth area and I can be at the MA border in about 45 min with no traffic.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    vandal5 - I've been looking at the City-Data forum and using a map to look at locations thus far. From what I know right now, I would guess somewhere in the triangle of Portsmouth, Concord and Nashua. We'd like to be within an hour'ish of Boston for museums and fun city stuff for the kids, along with the brother-in-law living in Reading. The SIL lives 30 miles east of Syracuse so I'm sure we'll be doing that drive once a month or so too.

Good schools and a nice family kind of area are very important to us, obviously. We'd like to be a little rural, but definitely not in the sticks. Maybe even just in an area with houses on a decent sized property, like an acre.

Out of curiosity what about Derry prompted you to want to live there? What does the Concord area lack in regards to Derry or it's amenities?

As far as land goes, I'd be happy with an acre, but a couple more would be nice as well. Nothing huge, but I'm tired of living on top of people.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    I live in Southern Maine and work in NH. Worst thing I can think of is property taxes are pretty high, vehicle registrations high. No state taxes though. Very laid back firearm laws. I work 10 mins from Portsmouth. Like Vandal said, a bit north is nice, alot of room, but not much going on. Which isn't always a bad thing.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattg1024 View Post
    I live in Southern Maine and work in NH. Worst thing I can think of is property taxes are pretty high, vehicle registrations high. No state taxes though. Very laid back firearm laws. I work 10 mins from Portsmouth. Like Vandal said, a bit north is nice, alot of room, but not much going on. Which isn't always a bad thing.
    Any benefits to living in Maine versus NH? We're not stuck on going there, I'm just trying to explore the idea with gun people, since a lot of us tend to have similar ideas on freedoms and such.

ETA - Property taxes aren't terrible here in Vegas but our car registration is about $600 a year per car. Although, as a vet, I get a pretty good discount on that.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I live and work in the seacoast area of nh. I think it is one of the best places in the US to live. I have the ocean about 20 minutes away and the mountains about 60 miles away. One weekend at the beach and the next camping in the middle of the wilderness, It is an expensive area, but we'll worth it. Property taxes are high, my town is $27 per 1k but no income tax or sales tax. Great place to live.

typos courtesy of my smart phone

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Very similar states. When a guy I work with was buying a house he was debating NH/ME and trying to figure out all the costs. He ended up in ME but said everything was pretty much a wash in the end.

We moved to Maine when we were looking for houses in MA and couldn't afford a foreclosed shack. I always vacationed in ME as a kid and when all the pieces fell into place my wife and I moved.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Great info. I would think with no sales tax and no income tax that the property tax would be easier to swallow, at least to me. It's good to have boots on the ground who know the in's and out's of the area. Thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    I'm interested in learning more about New Hampshire as a place to relocate. We're still about 2 years away, so nothing urgent, but I do want to learn more about the area. What are the pros and cons of living there? The Free State Project guys compiled a pretty good list of 101 reasons to move there.

We have 2 little guys, 3yo and 1yo, so schools, community and that type of thing will be important to us. I'd like to have enough property to have a nice garden and a small "hobby farm" if at all possible. Does this sound feasible?

I've spent some time in NY, upstate which is fantastic, and Manhattan, and Boston as well, but I haven't spent any time in NH. My wife's sister lives near Syracuse, NY and her brother lives in Boston so we're definitely gonna be somewhere in the NE. Is there anywhere else we should be considering?

This is mostly a feeler thread and I'd appreciate any input, thoughts or considerations that you might have. Thanks!

Live Free or Die.
    Lived in NH for some years in the Keene area. My mother lived there for long time. Just depends on what you want from a place. Rural, cold as fu#$ in winter, dark, and snow, was not what I wanted personally. You can find it's culture, laws, etc, at freestate project.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast