Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: What are you growing?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    This is a good read on the long term effects of synthetic fertilizers.

http://www.southlandorganics.com/blo...tic-fertilizer

Yeah, that guy is making some BS claims that are readily proven invalid.

I am not trying to get on anyone or be an ass. I simply take issue with the crowd that touts organic through BS claims. Is there a place for organic? Obviously. Just don't try to feed people BS that is readily disprovable in modern scientific literature.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    Yeah, that guy is making some BS claims that are readily proven invalid.

I am not trying to get on anyone or be an ass. I simply take issue with the crowd that touts organic through BS claims. Is there a place for organic? Obviously. Just don't try to feed people BS that is readily disprovable in modern scientific literature.
    Look, I'm not trying to be an ass either. I'm not a biologist or botanist, but I do know a bit about business practices, and if you want to use agriculture industry supported scientific literature as your basis for refuting the info in the article, I'm not so sure that info isn't biased either. While organic food costs more, there is not much money in Organics, business wise, like there is in huge corporations like Scott's, Monsanto, DuPont, ADM, Tyson, et al.

I do know this...most of the food you see in produce departments of big grocers has less taste than it used to. We have to turn to GMO's because the chems we saturated our soil with has killed many of the microbes needed to keep the soil healthy and grow good food. We've also replanted so much we've stripped our soil of many nutrients we need to keep healthy, causing the need for vitamin and nutrient supplements. And that compounds into animal feed also having issues building proteins in beef/poultry/etc.

Pesticides, herbicides, GMO use all skyrocketing along with cancer, allergies, and autoimmune system issues. Is that all a coincidence? Maybe...

I don't trust the scientific community so much these days. Global warming, GMO, breakthrough medicines that cause more issues than they solve...lots of things that are more about big $$$$ than real science.

Just how I see it. Maybe I'm a nutter...

Take Care,

Buzz

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    Look, I'm not trying to be an ass either. I'm not a biologist or botanist...if you want to use agriculture industry supported scientific literature as your basis for refuting the info in the article, I'm not so sure that info isn't biased either. While organic food costs more, there is not much money in Organics, business wise, like there is in huge corporations like Scott's, Monsanto, DuPont, ADM, Tyson, et al.
    I'll leave some university, open-sourced studies that show there is no diff. b/w petrochemical fertilizers and organic in regards to microbial suppression.

We have to turn to GMO's because the chems we saturated our soil with has killed many of the microbesThere has never been any proof of this. Multiple university studies have illustrated this. needed to keep the soil healthy and grow good food. We've also replanted so much we've stripped our soil of many nutrientsNot true. Go pick a farm at random and do a soil sample. we need to keep healthy, causing the need for vitamin and nutrient supplements. And that compounds into animal feed also having issues building proteins in beef/poultry/etc.

Pesticides, herbicides, GMO use all skyrocketing along with cancer, allergies, and autoimmune system issues. Is that all a coincidence? Maybe...

I don't trust the scientific communitySo you have no real results with which to base your conclusions? so much these days. Global warming, GMO, breakthrough medicines that cause more issues than they solve...lots of things that are more about big $$$$ than real science.

Just how I see it. Maybe I'm a nutter...Looks that way. More power to ya'! No hard feelings and hope you grow a kick ass crop this yr!
    Mods: These are cold links to open-sourced university material that is okay for reprint, distribution, etc.

organiclifestyles.tamu.edu/soil/microbeindex.html

gardening.cornell.edu/homegardening/scene3de4.html

colorado.edu/eeb/EEBprojects/FiererLab/Ramirez_etal_2010_SB%26B.pdf

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the links. I read the TAMU BLOG since my kid goes to school in College Station.

But like I said...I have a hard time believing what I read from sources who are funded by folks who stand to win or lose based on their results. I'm not saying the info in the links you provided is some or all bad. But I do know I no longer trust them blindly.

I have no money in this game. I don't make my income from agriculture, but I know folks who do. It's a tough life, and I respect all who work their land to feed out Nation. But I also see the influence corporations have over their lives.

http://documents.foodandwaterwatch.o...rivateGain.pdf

http://www.alternet.org/story/155375...gher_education

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philp...ic-ag-research

I'm trying to improve the quality of my family's life by growing and buying food produced with as little chem influence as possible. It's tough and expensive, but I no longer trust the FDA or the USDA to do their job of protecting we the people.

Just my opinion, and I'm not trying to offend anyone here, and will stop before I do. We're all capable of choices...and still free to exercise what to eat and if we grow our own, how to best do that.

Take Care,

Buzz

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910