banana peppers
    habaneros
    Clemson Spineless okra
    Cherokee Purple tomatoes
    grape tomatoes
    San Marzano tomatoes
    Sea Island Red peas
    fennel

Might do some radishes too if I have enough room.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    As to the weeds, if you want to try the hoe or till method, you need to plant your rows far enough apart to fit the tiller between them with alittle wiggle room to keep from running into a plant. However I watched this video and want to try this way.
    http://www.backtoedenfilm.com/
    It is Faith/God inspired and is a good theory as well. Simple principle of mulch/wood chips and manure, but he only uses a small rake or hoe and barely has to tend to weeds and also has more production.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steyrman13 View Post
    As to the weeds, if you want to try the hoe or till method, you need to plant your rows far enough apart to fit the tiller between them with alittle wiggle room to keep from running into a plant. However I watched this video and want to try this way.
    http://www.backtoedenfilm.com/
    It is Faith/God inspired and is a good theory as well. Simple principle of mulch/wood chips and manure, but he only uses a small rake or hoe and barely has to tend to weeds and also has more production.
    The Back to eden video is a good watch! An old timer by where I live has been using tree chippings for about 30 years and the method works great for his huge garden and flower beds. I started last year and this year is my first planting. Thick mulch is the main part.
    Last edited by SteveS; 05-13-14 at 10:31.

Feedback Score
    C'mon guys, some of you have gardens and some of you have FARMS!

BTW, my wife has a vegetable garden, primarily made up of a variety of tomatoes.

I have zero interest in gardening, but yes, I like to eat the tomatoes she harvests.

If you're thinking I'm a lazy SOB, consider that I'm the sole mower of 1 1/2 Acres, harvests and splits all the firewood, maintains the fence and driveway, and I'll stop there...you get the picture.

Feedback Score
    Best way I've come across to keep weeds out is to use partially composted grass clippings. I make a mound for all my grass clippings and let it age for a month or more, periodically dumping a couple buckets of water on it to compact it down further and keep it moist on the inside so it gets nice and sticky. I'll scoop then from the bottom of the pile where it's all black and sticky and use that to basically pave the top of my garden soil and let the sun bake it hard. No weeds will grow down or come up, and rain water slowly and evenly soaks through it, and it insulates the soil underneath nicely. To water the plants when it's dry I use Harbor Freight watering cones which only water at the roots of the plants I want to water.

As it turned out this year, we didn't have enough days of having the grass grow before planting time due to the extended crappy cold weather. In such cases where my grass mulch paving doesn't get implemented in time, or if it's too wet when I do, I also use cardboard. I get boxes from the wine/liquor store and open them up and put them down between and around plants. Same concept as the mulch paving, just not quite as convenient because you have to weight it down for a while before it gets rained on enough to stay in place on its own.
    Last edited by yellowfin; 05-13-14 at 13:12.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    Well it had been a few days since I checkup on my garden in the backyard. Walked over to it Sunday evening and what do I see? Elephant Ear, apparently the neighbors behind me have elephant ear and it is shooting up in my garden. This could turn out bad as the roots will compete with what I am growing for nutrients.
    "If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen"

-Samuel Adams, 1776

Feedback Score
    To much to list it all. I have a small green house and about 3/4 acre garden. This year looks like it it going to be good so far to. We shall see but so far the garden is about a week ahead of schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Does anyone here use soil amendments such as rock dusts (Azomite)? I keep a small section of my garden pretty neutral of fertilizers and soil amendments just to see how things would grow in a SHTF situation where these things would not be available. Most of my garden has amended soil and this year I am giving ruck dust and worm castings a go. Just curious if anyone else has used these types of amendments and what your results look like if any.
    Last edited by murphman; 05-13-14 at 16:34.
    "If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen"

-Samuel Adams, 1776

Feedback Score
    Charcoal ash is what I've used in the past, along with adding eggshells for tomatoes and watering the peppers with epsom salts.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I'm growing fresh mint for my Mojitos, and chives for mashed potatoes and deviled eggs.

De-lish!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast