Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've decided to go after my Unicorn this year: M1A/M14

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I've decided to go after my Unicorn this year: M1A/M14

I just don't know where to begin these days. A lot more manufacturers for sure and a lot of parts out there.

My budget, however, is going to really dictate with what I can get. My current thinking to to get a good rifle and change out parts to better ones. The purpose of this rifle will be CMP matches running in the service rifle side, hunting, and a companion to my '43 M1. I've always loved the Garand system and was more proficient with it until I truly got into ARs. I'm currently piecing an A2 NM rifle together. But I want the rifle that has seemed to always slip away from. In 2012 I sided to get a FN FAL in fear the antis would win. I knew I could always find an M1A (prevalent during the '94-'04 ban) but was worried to other Unicorn would be much harder to have: The FAl. Got the FAL, now I just want after the M14/M1A.

My current gravitation is to the Springfield M1A loaded and up grade the sites (don't want to mess with a glass bed stock). My only resistance is the parts that SA uses; haven't heard great things 9wear, bolt problems). I'm curious if SA parts can be replaced with GI quality parts?

I want to keep this down to $2,500. I have been looking into Fulton Armory (too high for their match weapon) and 7.62mm Firearms (great price but unsure of them or how to get one close to what the SA loaded is).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score
    Yes, SA commercial parts (mostly made by Wayne Machine in Taiwan) can be replaced with pricier USGI parts and/or some of the newer aftermarket (Smith Enterprise, Wolfe, JRA, LRB, Fulton) parts. Several companies are now selling forged op rods and bolts which are newly made.

I understand your M1A/M14 obsession. They are gorgeous rifles and a pleasure to shoot. I myself started buying M14 parts for a similar project from the DCM/CMP in the 1990s...when they still could be had, cheaply.

Before you migrate over to the "M14 Forum" (not sure if I can hotlink to another site or not in this manner) ... note that some of the aftermarket receivers are better regarded than others. Currently, LRB and James River Armory make forged receivers that are well regarded by nationally known M14 smiths (Art Luppino, Ted Brown, Gus Fisher - a former USMC 2112 IIRC). Jon Wolfe is also making aftermarket barrels and parts. SEI (Smith) has several items with NSNs and they have rebuilt M14s for the military prior to deployment as DMR rifles.

Many people also like the Chinese-made rifles. The receiver and op rod are forged and dimensionally correct and the barrels are good, too. Some of the other parts (bolt, trigger/hammer/sear) *may* be soft, or may not, but they can be replaced or even melonited to address the issue. The sights are crude and the gas system (plug, threads) do not interchange with USGI, although you could simply replace the entire gas cylinder assembly with a USGI unit. Norinco and Polytech rifles can be bargains.

SA, Inc. rifles are a known item, with certain eras and SN ranges known for USGI parts, and SA does service their rifles. Armscorp also generally made a decent receiver back in the day, although I've seen some with welded-on clip guides.

I think with your budget you can get a really outstanding rifle that is head and shoulders above a run-of-the-mill M1A...forged receiver and good parts, for starters. Check out LRB, JRA (who revived 'Rock-Ola' as a trademark), Fulton, older SA, Inc. rifles...Norinco and Polytechs (none imported for 20 years but can still be had if you are careful about looking); when you do a bit of research you'll get a good sense of what to avoid (particularly bad: Federal Ordnance). Look for "Different"'s M14 guide, which is obsessively researched.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks Ooda Loop. Apparently I have been on the right track for the start as I have been hitting those manufactures before I had posted this thread. I have been leaning on LBR, but a complete "match" rifle just blows my budget.

I have been considering of putting one together, starting with either LBR's receiver/barrel/bolt action and getting the rest piecemeal, or going with LBR's already made action with me adding the magazine release, trigger group and stock. Like I said, this will be for the service rifle side of CMP matches as I plan to really use an AR15A2 just because of the inherent accuracy (though .308 is harder to be pushed around by the wind), plus going hunting with .308 during deer season and what not. I am still a big believer in .308, though in the past ten years it has gotten more expensive to blast. I had an HK91 on a hesse receiver (before I knew better) and a CAI CETME; both were brass destroyers.

I also have a lot of load data for the M14/M1A, plus a good knowledge of the Garand system.

My biggest worry is if I go ahead and "build" it, can I get the right match parts, and also long lasting parts to get the weapon to shoot 1-2 MOA? I hear standard none accurized M1As do about 2-4 MOA, but I already have a FAL that can do that just fine.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Have you given any thought to getting another M1 Garand, specifically a CMP one that has one of the Criterion 7.62 barrels? Since you are familiar with it and already own one, you might come out ahead.

I used to own a M1a (late 1990's vintage) that was fun to shoot but I think I would much prefer a M1 Garand for fun shooting and competition.

I have thought really hard about doing this myself but I don't have time to shoot what I have now.

Of course, if you are looking to get your M14 itch scratched, my idea just won't do it.

Feedback Score
    Get the LRB receiver or barreled action and go from there, it's worth it. I sold these guns but kinda regret it now.

DSC03050.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Crossing the Noobicon

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    With that budget, you should be fine to purchase an almost all USGI rifle.

I would recommend against buying an SA and upgrading piece by piece.

Feedback Score
    The Springfield Armory rifles are good to go just as they are. You do not need to change anything out. They have literally been making them using one or more cast parts since 1973.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    Have you given any thought to getting another M1 Garand, specifically a CMP one that has one of the Criterion 7.62 barrels? Since you are familiar with it and already own one, you might come out ahead.

I used to own a M1a (late 1990's vintage) that was fun to shoot but I think I would much prefer a M1 Garand for fun shooting and competition.

I have thought really hard about doing this myself but I don't have time to shoot what I have now.

Of course, if you are looking to get your M14 itch scratched, my idea just won't do it.
    This is partly an inch to scratch, but also I don't have to go hunting for M1 safe ammo to get the brass for. There is a major resurgence of 7.62x51mm on the store shelves that is M14 and FAL safe. One of the best things that the rise in popularity of the AR10 system has done; it has let us guys with FALs buy little less expensive .308 off the shelves.

I have thought of getting another M1, and could with what CMP has to offer, but I rarely shoot my other one, and I want to move to the M14 to save wear and tear on my '43. I need to have the op-rod checked due to my early ignorance of reloading high pressure rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Peshawar View Post
    Get the LRB receiver or barreled action and go from there, it's worth it. I sold these guns but kinda regret it now.

DSC03050.jpg
    This is probably the route I actually may go. Will take me a few months or more to raise the funds (after paying off some bills), but I figure once I get the barrel action with matching both, everything else will be gold. I have put together 4 ARs, and have since yesterday detail stripped two of my 1911s (unfortunately the Colt Gold Cup is down because of a $4 spring in the sear disconnect that got launched into orbit...damn thing is tiny as hell) and put one back together better than when it was before. Plus I get to really "know" the weapon and what parts are in it, and review them if the work or fail.

Any word, though, on James River Armory's barreled actions? They are cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
    With that budget, you should be fine to purchase an almost all USGI rifle.

I would recommend against buying an SA and upgrading piece by piece.
    Yeah, my thinking is the same. It's just finding one in either my area, or looking online with unknowns of the true condition of the weapon. Unfortunately I'm about to go back being an OTR to make some coin while looking for a better job suited to my liking and use of my degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewsky View Post
    The Springfield Armory rifles are good to go just as they are. You do not need to change anything out. They have literally been making them using one or more cast parts since 1973.
    But I have heard that some of their parts, particularly their extractor, have failures and are sent back to the factory on more than occasion. I understand the major benefit of a lifetime warranty, but I rather not have to use it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser KAR98K View Post
    Any word, though, on James River Armory's barreled actions? They are cheaper.
    James River is an Armscorp spinoff.

Mark Hartman = James River Armory and Jack Fries = Armscorp.

Fries kept the Armscorp tooling and James River gets their receivers contract built by 762mmfirearms.

Now James River is selling under the Rockola name... which makes no sense because Rockola never made M14s, but presumably they just don't want potential customers to be reminded of scratchy USGI toilet paper...

It's just finding one in either my area, or looking online with unknowns of the true condition of the weapon.
    Roll the dice, see what you get, if it's not as described send it back.

I recently scored big on my first M14 type- pristine parts kit on a late Armscorp for *well* within your budget.

But I have heard that some of their parts, particularly their extractor, have failures and are sent back to the factory on more than occasion. I understand the major benefit of a lifetime warranty, but I rather not have to use it.
    I put them in the same category as the commercial spec ARs... you can save a little money, but who wants a rifle that might quit on you? That's no fun.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    This is partly an inch to scratch, but also I don't have to go hunting for M1 safe ammo to get the brass for. There is a major resurgence of 7.62x51mm on the store shelves that is M14 and FAL safe. One of the best things that the rise in popularity of the AR10 system has done; it has let us guys with FALs buy little less expensive .308 off the shelves.

I have thought of getting another M1, and could with what CMP has to offer, but I rarely shoot my other one, and I want to move to the M14 to save wear and tear on my '43. I need to have the op-rod checked due to my early ignorance of reloading high pressure rounds.

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/m1garand.htm

RM1308SPCLHRA M1 Garand, CMP Special (.308)
    Allow 120-180 days for delivery.
    M1 Garand Harrington & Richardson Arms receiver. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Harrington & Richardson Arms receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. Minor pitting may be present. A .308 spacer block is installed to prevent the loading of a .30-06 round into the chamber. $995
    S&H $24.95 per rifle

This is the one I was talking about.

Uses the same enbloc clips but fires .308 ammo. Uses all the same parts. Same as your M1 Garand in manual of arms just uses cheaper ammo.

Unless you get a tunable gas block you will have to be careful with the M14/M1a as well. It has the same offset oprod that can bend with high pressure rounds.

But if you really want the detachable magazine and the flash hider etc, the M1 Garand just won't do.

I wish you had decided you wanted to do this about a year ago. I sold my brothers (used to be mine) Loaded M1a that I had gotten back in the late 1990's and it had all USGI parts and a TRW bolt along with a pile of Vietnam era magazines. It went to someone who will never shoot it just take it out and admire it and brag to people he owns it. I would have rather it went to someone who will actually use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast