Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let's talk ocean bug out plans...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Let's talk ocean bug out plans...

Good thread and something I've never given any thought to. I live in NC and we frequent the coast quite often during the summer (much to my disliking).

One thing is for certain; if I am forced to bug out on a boat, I may as well just jump straight into the ocean from the dock bc I'm going to die out there either way.

Sent from my awesome iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Met a gal in a laundrymat while on the road in Sitka, AK. She had some interesting reading material, Use of a Sextant ect... which I found odd form a gal. Turns out she was a travelling nurse and her and SO worked/travelled the Pacific with her. They had a 50' live aboard sailboat that they vacationed/lived aboard. They had been from South American to Dutch Harbor and over to HI. She was continuing her education and trying to refreshnher skills with the device for their upcoming vacation to some locations in the far east past HI. After that they were going to upgrade from a glass hulled boat to a steel hull which is better for the northern waters (ice). She had no complaints, had been doing it for 4 years and being a minimalist/traveller made the transition pretty easy. Interedting conversation.

While doing bridge work in Cali, I've run into a few iron workers who would do the same along the Cali coast.
    Last edited by Ttwwaack; 04-15-14 at 11:27.

Feedback Score
    That was an EXCELLENT read! Thanks SurplusShooter. IMHO, you didn't write nearly enough.

Definitely a perspective I never thought about.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Excellent post Surplus Shooter! I have a friend in Florida who was just inquiring regarding using a sailboat to bug out. Will fwd this thread to him.

Feedback Score
    never saw this

most my life has been on the water I was 42 when moved from the islands lived on boats a portion of my life to
    worked on boats 6 days a week for almost 15 years on top of all that so LOTS of water time under me
    worked on some nice 55 foot sail cats etc. lived on 35 footer

check into join a sail club
    I miss boats miss them a ton !!!
    its really just time to learn and experience in real world situations
    lucky sail clubs etc... are super friendly and you can learn a ton from old sea dogs etc....

hurricanes will kill you most likely without experience in other storms
    been in some scary situations before with things breaking when you least expect it etc...

some issues money sail boats are not cheap to outfit well they can be reasonable but comfortable live aboard is a bit more funds also pretty easy to come up on ya with a speed boat ? as said more a way to get somewhere
    where you are escape to the caribbean ?

where I was we joked about it sometimes when tourists would ask us about what happens if and we joked we would ask do you want to go to fiji

IMHO they would be a awesome way to escapee zombies I don't think zombies swim

escaping just mayhem like say break down of banks and SHTF that way just get out far enough where most won't come after you in a speed boat

get desalination gear for water for sure

go for it better start to learn now than later the nice thing is you are mobile with your stuff and being where you are you have three ways to go

Feedback Score
    Ya know zombies are the people who put Obama in office.

Feedback Score
    Living in a coastal fishing town in AK I’ll throw an observation out there; We see our share of people come into port who "live" aboard their sail boats... And, that's the point-they come into port for sometimes days/weeks at a time. In addition to just visiting/doing the tourist thing, they’re acquiring fresh food, fresh water, washing their clothes (and themselves), refilling prescriptions, making repairs, etc... as Surplus Shooter basically said, lot more romantic and easier said than done, especially if you are not extremely proficient before the event, and have figured out all of the nuances Surplus Shooter shared, in advance…

As others have said, weather and skills depending, might be a viable way to exit a location and travel somewhere but you definitely need to be heading somewhere... Also keep in mind, the ocean can be warm and embracing, and provide with endless bounty/beauty… And in the next second strip everything from you, very violently, and giggle about it... If you are heading “towards” that in a SHTF scenario, better have your skills on…

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    Also keep in mind, the ocean can be warm and embracing, and provide with endless bounty/beauty… And in the next second strip everything from you, very violently, and giggle about it... If you are heading “towards” that in a SHTF scenario, better have your skills on…
    I recommned anyone who has not seen it yet to watch All Is Lost to drive home this point.

"In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123