Thread: Boondocks Refrigerators

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Boondocks Refrigerators

So at my ranch acreage, I've got a pole barn and a framed-in bunkhouse with all the amenities on one end. The bunkhouse has an off-grid electrical system. But this spring I am bringing in grid power to the property (for construction of a home, well, etc.) and will run grid power to the pole barn while we're at it.

As I will no longer be constrained by the power consumption limits of my off-grid system, I want to put an additional refrigerator and a freezer in my pole barn. I don't have room for these extra appliances in the insulated bunkhouse area; they would need to be situated in the unheated pole barn. Thus they would be subject to extreme temperature fluctuations (twenty below in the winter and triple digits in the summer months).

Will refrigerators and freezers tolerate that kind of abuse or will they croak in short order? Or would I be advised to build a small insulated "enclosure" for them in the pole barn to mitigate the extreme temperature swings?

Anyone have experience in this area or suggestions?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not exactly a pole barn but have kept a freezer in a garage that had temperature fluctuations that would freeze the bottle of water that I left on the counter, to hot enough that it was uncomfortable to be in there, and I never had an issue with it. I would think you would be fine.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't think they'll croak in short order, however, the refrigeration will have a tough time in both extremes for a couple reasons. The boxes usually aren't insulated very well and you'll likely experience freezing of the contents at low temps. On the flipside, they're only good to a certain delta-T. The higher the ambient temps, the likelihood it won't be able to maintain 38F inside. To compound that, you'll start to have issues with high head pressure at the extreme high temps. Best thing to do is find a better area for them, preferably one that is climate controlled but at least away from the extreme swings.
    Also, not sure on the humidity levels out by you but if they start to get higher in the warmer months, you'll also have to watch for freezing evap coils.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ryno12; 04-14-14 at 12:48.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had friends who did this. But they used propane refrigerators. It seemed to work for a long time that way. I would assume the fridge would have to work harder in the hot months.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For the electric units, you cannot enclose them in a small space. They must circulate lots of air as they exchange heat for relative cool. So an insulated box will not help unless you are simply improving the insulation of the refrigerator box and not the coils and compressor. If you enclose the coils and compressor they will overheat.

If I were you I'd try to modify the bunkhouse for the refrigerator. If the bunkhouse is air conditioned it will help a lot.

As a long time user of propane refrigerators in high temps I know they are not optimal. You can improve performance by installing solar powered venting.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    I have a refrigerator with freezer unit in my metal building/garage with no insulation, so very similar to a pole barn. The frozen stuff stays frozen and the refrigerator never has any items frozen in winter or warm in summer. I'm sure it will wear it out faster over time but it was a 8-10 year old refrigerator when I got it and it has been working for 3 years out there. It could stop working tomorrow too though lol. Hopefully not

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Check sears tool department for the Gladiator brand refrigerator with diamond plate on it. Among other high end commercial units are designed to go in garages etc. that are not climate controlled. I believe that the Gladiator unit is in my future because my current refrigerator/freezer in the garage has seen better days. I have had it in the garage for five years and over the past winter during the freezer was half frozen at best and the refrigerator was kinda cold at best. Be ready to pay for this though, or at least look for a sale.

http://m.sears.com/gladiator-19.0-cu...p-04643273000P
    Last edited by Gadsden11; 05-27-14 at 20:09.