Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just ordered SWFA 1-6 with Bobro.. Mounting advice needed??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseburger1976 View Post
    Got it done myself, it's perfect... Called SWFA, they said no lecture needed... Opinions??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Loctite, NOT lecture

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I generally Loctite just to be safe. 18 inch pounds is not a lot of torque. Even though most properly designed fasteners with a properly specified torque rating SHOULD be fine without any type of thread locker, it doesn't cost you anything for a drop on each screw. And as long as you're using normal "242" "blue" "medium" Loctite, the screws should easily come out if you need to remove the optic, and at most a little time with a heat gun or hair dryer should be more than adequate.
    I'm not cool. I just do this stuff for fun.

Feedback Score
    I did use the supplied loctite , but I believe it's 222MS, the liquid was purple .... Here is a picture of getting it plumbed..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    I used to have difficulty leveling scopes until I heard of the deck of cards method and saw a video of how to do it. You get a deck of playing cards (business cards or index cards also work) and use them to fill the gap between the underside of the scope, which is machined flat on 99.9% of quality scopes, and the mounting base, which is usually also machined flat (I believe Bobro is among those). You add/remove cards until they perfectly fill the gap, then tighten the ring screws.

This requires a base with a flat surface, which most but not all have, and ASSumes that the machined flat on the scope is perfectly perpendicular to the crosshairs, which it should be in all quality scopes, but is not an absolute given.

A torque-wrench screwdriver is a big help for getting the screws tight enough without stripped. I got one from Amazon.com, the Neiko below. At $60 it's not cheap, but I use it all the time on scopes, and it has helped me avoid ever having a scope get crushed or come loose.

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Pro-Grad...ue+screwdriver
    I've had trouble using the cards or feeler guages get stuck when I tighten down the rings. same principle but I use an allen wrench. something just big enough to take up slack when twisted underneath to confirm alignment and tighten rings. then untwist Allen wrench and remove...
    never push a wrench...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12