Thread: 5 MOA red dot for a carbine???

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

5 MOA red dot for a carbine???

I’m looking for some knowledge… Is there any reason that a 5 MOA red dot is to large for a M4 carbine??? If all of your engagements with the carbine were going to be less than 200 yards and 90% of those were less than 50 yards would a 5 MOA be some sort of a disadvantage???

I can reliably hit steel out to 300 yards with a 4 MOA ML2, and I can not see the extra 1 MOA making that much of a difference???

I am really considering giving John Pride’s red dot sight a serious evaluation for work, but before I started, I was wondering if there is a good reason not to use a 5 MOA dot…

B
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Buck,
    5MOA would be fine and a little faster than a 2MOA or 4MOA Aimpoint etc. For 200yds and in (what the M4 really is great at) it would work. For small targets obviously it's not going to be as precise.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Buck,

I have no experience with Pride's offerings, but I shoot beyond 400 yards with a Aimpoint ML2 (4 MOA dot) on a semi-regular basis.

You can read my response here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13000&page=2

S/F,
    Jeff

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Very well... Thank you for the imput...

I am going to go forward with an evaluation and I will post my findings...

Stay tunned

B
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    How long is the battery life with this sight? I would be interesting if they offered a 1-4 X.

Feedback Score
    Sorry to get in on this a little late but... Ive got a bit of time using the PF Special Ops Auto and I can say it is GTG and then some. A few will slam the 5 MOA dot size and thats fine but as long as you keep things in a 300m window things, for you at least, will be good.

Battery life is also pretty good. I finely got around to replacing my last battery after two years or so. Much of that time the optic was turned off but it also went weeks left on--mostly in the 'auto' mode.