Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-workout Powder - anyone use?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Pre-workout Powder - anyone use?

I thought there was already a thread going on this but I can't seem to find it. Curious what thoughts are on pre-workout powders. I've never used (until now). Lifelong athlete/active but the only supp I've ever consumed is whey protein.

Recently bought a new home gym smith. To celebrate I started a new 12wk workout, which is my first time with a truly weight-lifting centric plan (as opposed to sport specific or running). Ordered some accessories for the cables and bar from BB.com and inside the box were samples. I tried the 1MR Vortex last week. Holy moly, I was a squirrel on crack, and I liked it. Today I just took a dose of NO-Xplode which my husband has used for a while. I figured I'd compare.

I've never been one for supplements. I'm traditional and I like natural in my body. But after trying the sampler, I admit, I'm curious (is this a "gateway drug"? haha j/k). At this point I don't know if I want to use a pre-workout for every workout (based on intensity & duration to get it all out of my system). But I can see it for the crushing leg days, maybe plyo.

Thoughts on pre-workout powders?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I love them. I took NO-Explode for a couple of years and always felt like I could run through a wall. I gave Assault a try for the past year or so and like that too. I'm giving C4 a shot now. I cycle off after about 6-8 weeks and stay clean for 4 or so. I absolutely love drinking one before training but I only take it before weight training. I just don't feel like I need one before I go on a short run.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I used to use various pre-workout supplements. I've tried Superpump, NO, C4, Assault, and others. I think that they work great for a while but I always seemed to get used to them. After a few weeks, the effect wasn't as great. I now use the money saved from not buying pre-workout supplements to buy protein sources (food). YMMV.
    Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing. George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Check out Jym, you won't be disappointed.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
    I thought there was already a thread going on this but I can't seem to find it. Curious what thoughts are on pre-workout powders. I've never used (until now). Lifelong athlete/active but the only supp I've ever consumed is whey protein.

Recently bought a new home gym smith. To celebrate I started a new 12wk workout, which is my first time with a truly weight-lifting centric plan (as opposed to sport specific or running). Ordered some accessories for the cables and bar from BB.com and inside the box were samples. I tried the 1MR Vortex last week. Holy moly, I was a squirrel on crack, and I liked it. Today I just took a dose of NO-Xplode which my husband has used for a while. I figured I'd compare.

I've never been one for supplements. I'm traditional and I like natural in my body. But after trying the sampler, I admit, I'm curious (is this a "gateway drug"? haha j/k). At this point I don't know if I want to use a pre-workout for every workout (based on intensity & duration to get it all out of my system). But I can see it for the crushing leg days, maybe plyo.

Thoughts on pre-workout powders?
    As there's a wide range of ingredients used in this new "pre workout drink" craze, each product and its ingredients needs to be examined for it's science support (or lack there of...), safety profile, etc. etc. A strong cup of black coffee going into the gym is technically a "pre workout" drink so no generalizations can be made. As a rule, they are stimulant focused which has the potential to be problematic for some, but again, depends on dose, drug, etc.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    As there's a wide range of ingredients used in this new "pre workout drink" craze, each product and its ingredients needs to be examined for it's science support (or lack there of...), safety profile, etc. etc. A strong cup of black coffee going into the gym is technically a "pre workout" drink so no generalizations can be made. As a rule, they are stimulant focused which has the potential to be problematic for some, but again, depends on dose, drug, etc.
    Black coffee. The best for me.
    Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing. George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmm46 View Post
    I love them. I took NO-Explode for a couple of years and always felt like I could run through a wall. I gave Assault a try for the past year or so and like that too. I'm giving C4 a shot now. I cycle off after about 6-8 weeks and stay clean for 4 or so. I absolutely love drinking one before training but I only take it before weight training. I just don't feel like I need one before I go on a short run.
    Thanks for the input.

Just finished up Legs & Abs today. I felt good throughout, my muscles are spent. Except I had to pee three times, geeze alou. THe NO-Explod tastes nasty. I initially only put 8oz water to mix but it was real strong so I filled it up some more to dilute the taste. I must say the 1MR Blueberry Lemon Ice from last week tasted much better with 8oz water. But I also felt a little nauseous in the first20 min after drinking it until I burped it all out ( I know, gross, sorry. But hey, it's a review).

Quote Originally Posted by Rekkr870 View Post
    I used to use various pre-workout supplements. I've tried Superpump, NO, C4, Assault, and others. I think that they work great for a while but I always seemed to get used to them. After a few weeks, the effect wasn't as great. I now use the money saved from not buying pre-workout supplements to buy protein sources (food). YMMV.
    No, you're right on about good food. We renewed our Costco membership specifically because we are going through chicken and veggies like mad.

ETA: I cleaned up my diet back in mid February and since then, with just clean eating I dropped 5lbs or so (which is a lot for a lightweight like me, 112lbs). I did zero workouts in that time. I just got my eating straight (good thing to because I was a moody monster). But the affect that a diet has on a body is simply amazing.

My new workouts started in April once I got the food/cal intake sorted. Messing with as little variables as possible simplified the transitions.

I figured it is a matter of time before a person builds up tolerance to the pre-workout. Which defeats the entire purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rackit View Post
    Check out Jym, you won't be disappointed.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    This is my ultimate concern. There's all kinds of "proprietary ingredients" that give me pause. That leaves the user up to the mercy of the manf.

For the last since I can remember my pre-workout is a cup of coffee and oatmeal mixed with protein powder. The "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" usually applies well with me, but curiosity caught the cat this time. I hope it doesn't kill it.

FWIW, No-Explode says 225mg caffeine per serving.
    Compared to Dunkin' Donuts coffee I drink: http://www.caffeineinformer.com/comp...ffeine-content
    10oz cup = 132mg
    20oz cup = 244mg
    28oz cup = 284mg

Anyway caffeine isn't the only thing to look for like you said, Will, just mentioned it because that stuck out in my head from reading the label earlier. I'll have a look at the rest of the ingredients. Those do concern me. Thanks Will.

Oh, also I know there's the Caffeine thread going. I haven't looked at that yet but I'll go through it. Again, thanks.
    Last edited by Shorts; 04-22-14 at 14:05.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    As far as taste- the C4 Extreme Icy Blue Razz is pretty good, that's what I'm taking. I haven't upped it to 2 scoops yet since I normally have coffee in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorts View Post

This is my ultimate concern. There's all kinds of "proprietary ingredients" that give me pause. That leaves the user up to the mercy of the manf.

For the last since I can remember my pre-workout is a cup of coffee and oatmeal mixed with protein powder. The "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" usually applies well with me, but curiosity caught the cat this time. I hope it doesn't kill it.

FWIW, No-Explode says 225mg caffeine per serving.
    Compared to Dunkin' Donuts coffee I drink: http://www.caffeineinformer.com/comp...ffeine-content
    10oz cup = 132mg
    20oz cup = 244mg
    28oz cup = 284mg

Anyway caffeine isn't the only thing to look for like you said, Will, just mentioned it because that stuck out in my head from reading the label earlier. I'll have a look at the rest of the ingredients. Those do concern me. Thanks Will.

Oh, also I know there's the Caffeine thread going. I haven't looked at that yet but I'll go through it. Again, thanks.
    Not that I think this is common, but pre workouts are all about who's is stronger than the other ("like drinking jet fuel on steroids" blah blah) and that's ended with mixtures of stimulants not recommended/potentially problematic, and in some cases far worse:

'Craze' Workout Supplement Contains Meth-Like Stimulant 'Never Studied In Humans'

My advice = Just say no to pre workout formulas. You can make your own by simply buying a few key ingredients and making your own.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Will - are you referring to Fein? I think you posted about it in the past as a more pure alternative. I need to check that out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matthew 10:28

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast