Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-workout Powder - anyone use?

Feedback Score
    Your body type, exercise plan, and individual tolerance are going to determine how well your pre-workout is going to work for you. Also, just like most of what we talk about on M4C, the product is just an item. It's on you to use it right and find what works for you.

I've tried a few pre-workouts. I have a good team I hit the gym with at least 4 days a week, and one of those dudes is my brother (frmr NSW). He is always looking for something to give him some sort of rocket boost. For me, I'm looking for the opposite. I have to take in a good amount of caffeine every day (which means I drink a LOT of water), so it doesn't really get me going. Instead of a boost, I would prefer increased blood flow for endurance. I get this with some niacin, but on days where I know I'll push it (High Weight, Low Rep) I have found my Go-To.

MusclePharm "Assault" - Pink Lemonade...it's faaaaabulous.
    MusclePharm "Combat" - Orange Creamsicle. Mixes great with spinach and strawberries.

Not loyal to the brand, I just know how my body reacts to different ingredients and what the desired effect is. What I don't recommend though, is using pre-workout for any session that isn't going to push you to get a few negatives. Legs and abs...not really needed, if anything you might have filled your stomach and bladder and made your reps harder. Don't do a PW before a run. Learn to find your own inner motivation and energy. Man has done a lot of exercise for a long ass time before the pre-workout craze. And anything that you put in your body that doesn't grow or walk around, it's doing some damage dude.
    Team Medic, Task Force Zangaro
    "The Cat's Originals"

Feedback Score
    I also wanted to add a few things that have worked for me to increase energy before workouts...sometimes way before.

Yoga - Dudes, I know, it's super homo. I'll remember that when I'm trying to pick which hot broad to disappoint tomorrow night. But I have found that starting my day with a good set of stretches and a ten minute yoga timeout is like a shot of adrenaline. Don't just do it for fitness, learn about the wellness (this is HUGE for me right now, I feel like a hippy sometimes). Breathing is everything.

Posture - Check your posture. Bad posture leads to bad blood flow, and poor breathing. You'll feel more tired if you slouch when you stand or sit. Remember when you stand with your hands in fists, you should imagine an arrow in each hand. If those arrows point to "noon" with a little variation, that's how you want to keep your shoulders. Don't sit longer than an hour straight. Your weak ass boss can just learn to deal with your hourly rounds.

Diet - (I'm not an expert, see a doctor if you think this might kill you) I eat red meat about once a month. At first, to lose weight. Now when I eat red meat or anything processed, I feel like I have to crap out a watermelon. Lots of fruits and veggies man, next time you eat an apple and feel like it was a noteworthy accomplishment, remember you're supposed to eat a bunch of those. Every day. Helps with your natural blood sugars, your cholesterol and blood pressure, etc. Train your body to eat what you have laid out, and stick to it.

Dat Ass - Get some of it. I increased the amount of and duration of my afternoon delights. Noticeable increase in T count. I do it out in the sunlight too, neighbors haven't learned to appreciate it yet, but the sunlight and fresh air are a plus.

Marlboro Menthol 72's - Mmmmmm that menthol opens up the lungs before a run!

Okay maybe not the last part. But a lot of these things I found to greatly increase my overall energy, not just for a short period when I drink some chemistry set stuff. Find your formula.
    "The Cat's Originals"

Feedback Score
    Last comment on this subject...

The guy at GNC, your friend there that "hooks you up" and "knows his stuff"? He's a salesman. He's working an entry level position selling merchandise to people who will hang onto his every word. Don't go to McDonalds for career advice, don't go to GNC to find the supplements you need without anything you DONT need.

But DO sit on benches and text. Make sure your circuit is all in front of the big mirrors. And remember, girls LOVE a guy who can workout and still keep his sneakers clean.
    "The Cat's Originals"

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I use Assault but their new formula I am still undecided on. NO-Xplode was complete garbage. Jack3D did absolutely nothing but make me constantly have to pee. I have tried a few others and nothing has beaten Assault yet. Most people forget to take days off when using pre, and I think that causes people to have to take more or it just stops working, or even causes problems. Take at least 2 days off a week and a whole week off at least once every 2 months. You will not build a tolerance or get negative side effects. Works for me but YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
    MusclePharm "Assault" - Pink Lemonade...it's faaaaabulous.
    Can't beat the raspberry lemonade. Best tasting pre I have ever tried. Though their new formula doesn't taste nearly as good but it still tops the taste list.
    Last edited by Endur; 04-23-14 at 02:25.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmin View Post
    As far as taste- the C4 Extreme Icy Blue Razz is pretty good, that's what I'm taking. I haven't upped it to 2 scoops yet since I normally have coffee in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's what I'm taking, 2 scoops pre-workout. I don't drink soda or coffee, so I don't feel too bad about the caffeine in it. I cycle 4 weeks on, 4 weeks off.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
    Dat Ass - Get some of it. I increased the amount of and duration of my afternoon delights. Noticeable increase in T count. I do it out in the sunlight too, neighbors haven't learned to appreciate it yet, but the sunlight and fresh air are a plus.
    This ****ing killed me lol

Best natural testosterone booster in the world...dat ass.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Well, being a chick, don't know if the benefit of T boost is applicable. But I'll take the good endorphins

Played with NO-Xplode dose today, only took 12g of the 22.5g dose. It took forever to come down off the full dose yesterday (I was still wired at 5pm from a noon dose), even after a heavy leg day.

Today was cardio so I chose P90X plyo for the workout. Worked out for an hour on the nose at high intensity. Didn't get near as cagey on ~1/2 dose. On one hand I like the psycho drive of a full dose, but I can't stand being wired or hours after the workout is done. Here is where I *think* caffeine is the source (Someone jump in here and guide me if I'm off base). Going to bump up to a 17g serving next time. Since caffeine is the only measurable ingredient in NO-Xplode that I can toy with I am really looking forward to the ingredients arriving to try Will's DIY mix and fine tuning proportions. As it is with these pre-workout mixes, there is no/minimal info on the nutrition label.

As for leg days not being hard, only if you're this guy. I do find it humorous that the largest muscle group in the body is being brushed off as an easy day.

I'm working total body back from nerve level damage of the CNS variety. For legs that means an extra isolation set for each exercise on leg day. I have a strength, endurance, size and nerve coordination imbalance that must be equalized as best as possible (I was diagnosed with Brown Sequard syndrome after the accident). Also core workout to get the torso & hip girdle strength symmetrical. As for arms/shoulders, those days are short and easy, only one arm to work. The shoulder girdle on the left lost most muscle innervation so it's a none issue as far as workouts (I do pool work for the arm movements I do have). The good arm does get it's work. Ultimately it is a balancing act for symmetry and compromise for size and strength. Long story short, legs and ab day is hard work. The boost of a pre-workout on those days wouldn't be lost on me. Arms/shoulders, definitely not needed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    This ****ing killed me lol

Best natural testosterone booster in the world...dat ass.
    I literally laughed out loud when I read that...albeit very true. As for the pre workout, I take NO xplode mixed with 16-20oz of water. It works for me
    “We don’t rise to the level of our expectations; we fall to the level of our training.” Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC

CERTIFIED GLOCK ARMORER

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
    Well, being a chick, don't know if the benefit of T boost is applicable. But I'll take the good endorphins

Played with NO-Xplode dose today, only took 12g of the 22.5g dose. It took forever to come down off the full dose yesterday (I was still wired at 5pm from a noon dose), even after a heavy leg day.

Today was cardio so I chose P90X plyo for the workout. Worked out for an hour on the nose at high intensity. Didn't get near as cagey on ~1/2 dose. On one hand I like the psycho drive of a full dose, but I can't stand being wired or hours after the workout is done. Here is where I *think* caffeine is the source (Someone jump in here and guide me if I'm off base). Going to bump up to a 17g serving next time. Since caffeine is the only measurable ingredient in NO-Xplode that I can toy with I am really looking forward to the ingredients arriving to try Will's DIY mix and fine tuning proportions. As it is with these pre-workout mixes, there is no/minimal info on the nutrition label.

As for leg days not being hard, only if you're this guy. I do find it humorous that the largest muscle group in the body is being brushed off as an easy day.
    Now contrast the above with the vid I just made training IFBB Pro Geri Villalona. That's what tough functional leg/lower body work looks like!

Quote Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
    I'm working total body back from nerve level damage of the CNS variety. For legs that means an extra isolation set for each exercise on leg day. I have a strength, endurance, size and nerve coordination imbalance that must be equalized as best as possible (I was diagnosed with Brown Sequard syndrome after the accident). Also core workout to get the torso & hip girdle strength symmetrical. As for arms/shoulders, those days are short and easy, only one arm to work. The shoulder girdle on the left lost most muscle innervation so it's a none issue as far as workouts (I do pool work for the arm movements I do have). The good arm does get it's work. Ultimately it is a balancing act for symmetry and compromise for size and strength. Long story short, legs and ab day is hard work. The boost of a pre-workout on those days wouldn't be lost on me. Arms/shoulders, definitely not needed.
    Good luck with the recoup/rehab! Use the pre workout products in a targeted manner such as you describe, and you're GTG. There's all sorts of people now who wont go to the gym to do abs and 10 mins on the treadmill without their meth infused pre workout drink.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 04-23-14 at 17:04.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    One word, Will - dayum!

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast