Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magpul's Making Aug Mags

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have trouble understanding why they would bring this product to market. It does not seem to bring anything new to the table.

Real AUG mags are currently in stock at CTD for unde 16$.

Through every scare and buying frenzy AUG mags were always available. I however see no harm in magpul selling these, I just don't see the market. The AUG is pretty obscure as it is, I can't imagine there are many out there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    I have trouble understanding why they would bring this product to market. It does not seem to bring anything new to the table.

Through every scare and buying frenzy AUG mags were always available. I however see no harm in magpul selling these, I just don't see the market. The AUG is pretty obscure as it is, I can't imagine there are many out there.
    Because MagPul is more then just a US company and they make magazines for other countries. The AUG or a variant of it is used by the armies (according to Wikipedia) of 11 other countries as well as the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency. They also make a G36 magazine as well (if you were not aware of that), you don't see many G36s in use stateside either.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)

More out there than you think. I'll try and find out the numbers on the A3s, but I know they were pumping them out as fast as VLTOR could manufacture the receivers for them pretty much.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Will545 View Post
    I though there was already a NATO version of the AUG that took AR mags...?
    There is, but on the a3 version you lose the bolt catch on the stock.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Now if Magpul would just make some 5.45 AK magazines, take that K-Var!

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    I like that they estimate that AUG's are or will be numerous enough to merit doing a PMAG for them. One wonders if some people had heretofore shied away from buying one on the prospect of parts and support not being what we're used to for more prevalent rifle types.

As eluded to by eaboecke, Magpul got a contract to make magazines for the Australian Defense Force.

That doesn't mean necessarily that they're better than Austrian AUG magazines (although that's certainly possible) but that it is very likely that they are better than Australian AUG magazines.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I like having a source of domestic AUG mags that can't be import banned by executive order.

Plus, the only reason AUG mags have been under $20 is because speculators thought they were going to be banned and bought a huge quantity after Sandy Hook. Since that didn't happen they are liquidating stock. This won't last forever.

H

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by meausoc View Post
    Now if Magpul would just make some 5.45 AK magazines, take that K-Var!
    I assume this is a jab at Bulgarian waffle pricing?
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_M View Post
    I assume this is a jab at Bulgarian waffle pricing?
    Probably their pricing in general, K-Var is currently charging $45-50/magazine for used Bulgarian and/or Russian 5.45 magazines.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by helothar View Post
    Probably their pricing in general, K-Var is currently charging $45-50/magazine for used Bulgarian and/or Russian 5.45 magazines.
    Yeah, gone are the days of inexpensive import AK mags. Current domestic market is mostly for 7.62x39. Whichever manufacturer picks up that ball can eat some good lunches for a while. I don't even want to talk about how much mags cost for some of my 5.56 AK's...
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast