Thread: AR-556 Information Seen On A Ruger Website

Feedback Score

Thumbs up AR-556 Information Seen On A Ruger Website

I called the S.C. Ruger AR plant this AM to ask them a few Q?'s about the AR-556. The woman that answered the phone could not answer my Q?'s, so, she put me on hold. A man by the name of Phil answered the phone. I don't know his job title, but , he seemed very knowledgeable. I started asking him my Q?'s and he would answer them one at a time. I asked him why Ruger made such a nice CHF barrel, yet, failed to protect the rifling. He stated that it was protected, and the treatment was similar to a Melonite treatment. NO SH**!
    I then asked him why Ruger used a polymer material, instead of aluminum, to make the delta ring. He stated cost, but, he stated that Ruger will have an aluminum version out soon. He also stated that Ruger teamed up with UTG to make (2) aluminum hand guards for the AR-556. I told him I had seen that.
    He also stated to keep an eye out for more AR-556 parts and accessories from Ruger in the near future. He was a very nice gentleman and fun to talk to.

My son and I bought the AR-556 a few months ago. I have added a new PSA Premium (no logo) BCG, an aluminum hand guard similar to the one Ruger sells, and a carry handle.
    That's good to know that the barrel rifling is protected. And, an aluminum delta ring will not bind/warp like the current polymer delta ring does, making it easier to screw/unscrew.
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest.

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-556 View Post
    I called the S.C. Ruger AR plant this AM to ask them a few Q?'s about the AR-556. The woman that answered the phone could not answer my Q?'s, so, she put me on hold. A man by the name of Phil answered the phone. I don't know his job title, but , he seemed very knowledgeable. I started asking him my Q?'s and he would answer them one at a time. I asked him why Ruger made such a nice CHF barrel, yet, failed to protect the rifling. He stated that it was protected, and the treatment was similar to a Melonite treatment. NO SH**!
    I then asked him why Ruger used a polymer material, instead of aluminum, to make the delta ring. He stated cost, but, he stated that Ruger will have an aluminum version out soon. He also stated that Ruger teamed up with UTG to make (2) aluminum hand guards for the AR-556. I told him I had seen that.
    He also stated to keep an eye out for more AR-556 parts and accessories from Ruger in the near future. He was a very nice gentleman and fun to talk to.

My son and I bought the AR-556 a few months ago. I have added a new PSA Premium (no logo) BCG, an aluminum hand guard similar to the one Ruger sells, and a carry handle.
    That's good to know that the barrel rifling is protected. And, an aluminum delta ring will not bind/warp like the current polymer delta ring does, making it easier to screw/unscrew.
    The Ar556 really is a nice rifle for the money! And Rugers CS is top notch.

Feedback Score
    Good to know that the barrel has some kind of treatment on it. I bought the rifle under the impression that it didn't.