Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300 black out gas length

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just have to say that I think the fear of overgassing with a pistol gas barrel are overblown. Even in the configuration that would yield the highest port pressure (suppressed supers) and with loads that generate a lot of gas (125 gr with a MAX load of A1680), I have never seen ANY of the symptoms that would indicate that it was severely overgassed or at risk for damaging parts. These would include extractor marks on the case, case swipes, ripped case heads, FTE's related to stovepipes, weird ejection pattern, etc, and I have seen NONE of them. I have played with some 308 AR's that were VERY overgassed and have work through these issues, so I believe that I have a decent idea of what I am looking for.

I really think that Noveske does a great job getting the gas port just right. I am not sure that all manufacturers do (CMMG comes to mind) but that is just because I haven't experimented with their barrels.

Feedback Score
    I have had both. Both of mine were 16" & 14.5. Both had carbine length, both functioned great.
    I still have the 14.5, it shoots smooth, but I don't shoot subs and choose that port length based on that.
    I now have a 8" cmmg to play with, in hopes of bringing my loads down to pussycat 45acp range.
    If your going to play with subs/supers and mixed with a can, I would also recommend an adjustable gas block.

Feedback Score
    If you go pistol length you really don't need an adjustable gas block. The over gassing when running supers with a suppressor is a common myth from those that haven't ever shot one. I think this stems from the real problem presented when running 5.56 through a suppressor. The problem is that the nature of the BLK doesn't lead to a direct correlation. Those that use this combo find increased gas but not near the "parts breakage/ damage" area.

Feedback Score
    It's not that it'll destroy itself immediately, it's just harder on parts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have both. With two 16"s one will not cycle subs, the other is a 50/50 iffy. My two pistol lengths cycle without problems.
    Marriage is a good institution, considering you're ready for one.

Feedback Score
    Carbine length won't work in spec.

You need pistol length for any barrel under 16 inches.

Feedback Score
    Like rsilvers said, pistol length is the way to go

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Got a pistol length 8.5" Rainier Arms barrel on my SBR with a H2 buffer. I have not found any factory loads that will not cycle suppressed or unsuppressed.

Pistol is definitely the way to go. As with many other things...if you can afford the ammo to the point where it will cause considerable wear, you can afford to replace some parts too.

Feedback Score
    Pistol for sure.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    +1 for pistol length. I had a 16" carbine length that wouldn't cycle subs at all. Switched it to a pistol and haven't looked back. Realistically, the 300 BLK is designed to run in SBR territory.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12