Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knight's armament anodizing?

Feedback Score

Knight's armament anodizing?

I was wondering what type or how KAC does their anodizing on SR15 upper receivers? I have a Noveske lower and noveske is significantly more matte than that of the KAC SR15 upper I have. Both are anodized as well but I'm curious as to why the huge difference in finish.

Feedback Score
    I believe Noveske does things differently than most other manufacturers. They apply cerakote over the anodizing.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Each anodizer has their own special tweaks to the bath and time, is my opinion.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Each anodizer has their own special tweaks to the bath and time, is my opinion.
    Exactly, it's amazing the difference in color that we get from different Anodizers, and even from different batches of aluminum as content varies slightly from batch to batch.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Exactly, it's amazing the difference in color that we get from different Anodizers, and even from different batches of aluminum as content varies slightly from batch to batch.
    Yep, you can vary texture, color, and a slew of other things. Anodizing is like paint in that regard. Technique, time, surface, and chemical make-up can all vary how it turns out. Also, like painting something, ano is an ART.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by phaseshift View Post
    I was wondering what type or how KAC does their anodizing on SR15 upper receivers? I have a Noveske lower and noveske is significantly more matte than that of the KAC SR15 upper I have. Both are anodized as well but I'm curious as to why the huge difference in finish.

Gen 3 Noveske stuff is anodized and then Cerrakoted matte black. You are not comparing anodizing to anodizing when you are looking at your KAC vs Noveske (if Gen 3).
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    It varies greatly from batch to batch. Remember old school Bushmaster purple? I had an olde LMT MRP upper that was purple as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Gen 3 Noveske stuff is anodized and then Cerrakoted matte black. You are not comparing anodizing to anodizing when you are looking at your KAC vs Noveske (if Gen 3).
    well thats the thing, i just had my local anodizer re-anodize the noveske lower and it still looks matte?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've never come across a black anodized receiver that wasn't matte...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    I've never come across a black anodized receiver that wasn't matte...
    the knight's are more of a satin/matte

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast