Thread: Have Arsenal/Legion SGL's become unicorns?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Have Arsenal/Legion SGL's become unicorns?

I just acquired a new (unfired) Arsenal SGL21-61 with FDE (more like tan) furniture as part of a trade deal. Has all paperwork and the original box which looks to be rather old as its not the same style box the last SGL21 I purchased came in.

My desire was for a Bulgy side folder or a pistol (Draco or Arsenal) but the other party was willing to accept my +cash terms so I went ahead with the transaction.

This is not my first SGL21-61 however the last time I owned one was a few years ago and they were very easy to find even locally at the gun shops. I have not been able to find any SGL21's for sale online or on any forums in new condition even on GB.

Now it seems these particular rifles are no longer made and some of the AK purists on other sites are skeptical about the FIME marked Arsenal's. I will note that a rep from Atlantic did state they are the same rifles and I am making no judgment either way.

My question is if I should keep it or sell it to get one of the two firearms I was originally in search of. If these are now unicorns I almost feel bad molesting it to set it up the way I would want. I want a rifle to shoot not to collect so I would be fine with a few of the current offerings available from Arsenal and I'm not picky about what's stamped on the side.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    I used to own an Arsenal/Legion marked SGL, and I ended up selling it. Of all the FIME marked AK's I got to handle - they were identical minus the Arsenal marking. I guess there's some collector's value in them in the sense that there's a "Legion" marking on the trunnion(?) with the older models vs on the receiver with the newer ones.

Either way, it seems if someone were to look for a collector grade AK they'd probably go for a Chinese pre ban or whatever. Arsenals were/are great AK's for actual use. Now they're getting to that price point between collector grade and shooter grade. With SLR's available, for the price they are available at I don't see why someone would pay a few hundred $'s more for a rifle with fewer features.

Now for me, I would buy an SGL simply for the fact that they are legal in my state. While SLR's are not; if I could choose between the two I would take the SLR any day.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I think the Bulgarian SLR's are superior in nearly every way.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen4Glock22 View Post
    I think the Bulgarian SLR's are superior in nearly every way.
    Agreed, I sold all my SGL rifles with the exception of one SGL-31 (5.45) and kept the SLR's; I certainly prefer them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Seems not to be a unicorn. Well then no reason not to start setting it up then.

Appreciate the feedback!

A06