Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So, would you consider the SCAR 17 to be the modern "Uber 7.62"?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It certainly works for me in that role. LMT & KAC & HK make solid 7.62 rifles in more of a precision role, which I'd love to own but the lightweight of the 17 is great, among other things.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 05-05-14 at 06:50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    Everyone keeps parroting "hard on optics" with nothing to back that assertion. Eotechs suck in general but besides that I've only heard of 1 optic I'd consider quality break on a SCAR and that was a Trijicon Accupoint which more than likely had a sub par mount. Put a solid optic + solid mount on a SCAR 17s and don't think twice about it!
    I've seen a TA33, TA55, and an 01 all break on the SCAR. Not so much break into pieces, as cloud and become barely useable. Works fine with AIMPOINT Micro and the EOTech EXPS models hold up great (but they suck to use...?). It's not always as much of what mount is used, though a quality mount helps, but where on the rifle it's being mounted.

Besides being hard on optics, I don't see the Mk17 going away anytime soon. It's versatile, it's held up great in the combat theaters, and is as easy to make DMR or CQB as the current M4. Great gun all around, the "fan boy" attention just seems to always go away with time. Anything that's been around for four years or so loses it's fanatic craze and finds itself either consistent or obsolete, the latter not the case with the SCAR.
    Team Medic, Task Force Zangaro
    "The Cat's Originals"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
    I've seen a TA33, TA55, and an 01 all break on the SCAR. Not so much break into pieces, as cloud and become barely useable. Works fine with AIMPOINT Micro and the EOTech EXPS models hold up great (but they suck to use...?). It's not always as much of what mount is used, though a quality mount helps, but where on the rifle it's being mounted.

Besides being hard on optics, I don't see the Mk17 going away anytime soon. It's versatile, it's held up great in the combat theaters, and is as easy to make DMR or CQB as the current M4. Great gun all around, the "fan boy" attention just seems to always go away with time. Anything that's been around for four years or so loses it's fanatic craze and finds itself either consistent or obsolete, the latter not the case with the SCAR.
    No mil experience but it's my understanding older ACOGs were susceptible to breaking even on M4s, but mounting them on a Mk17 I'm sure didn't help. I haven't heard of any ACOG made in the past several years breaking on a SCAR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post

That's what I intend to use on mine (actually, it's what I have laying in the safe!).

Where is it a problem mounting it? I like mine about midway on the receiver rail, at least on M4's and can't see why the SCAR will be any different placement-wise.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 05-05-14 at 09:12.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    No mil experience but it's my understanding older ACOGs were susceptible to breaking even on M4s, but mounting them on a Mk17 I'm sure didn't help. I haven't heard of any ACOG made in the past several years breaking on a SCAR.
    LOL that's true, I like the optic but somehow they can go from being incredibly durable to broken really quick. I think I went through four on my last deployment alone. Luckily we had an EOTech in the spares box.

We took about ten Mk17s out with a bunch of different optics to see what would work best for us. ELCAN took the cake, and that monstrosity the Brits are using on their LMTs too. The TA55 may have been a skewed result, since those came off some SAWs and had a high round count under their belt already.
    "The Cat's Originals"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    That's what I intend to use on mine (actually, it's what I have laying in the safe!).

Where is it a problem mounting it? I like mine about midway on the receiver rail, at least on M4's and can't see why the SCAR will be any different placement-wise.
    Experience is limited and maybe outdated but what we saw was mounting them midway was ok for RDS. Closer than mid rail worked best for magnified optics, which meant we were using ADM Recons the most effectively only a few slots past the rear sight.
    "The Cat's Originals"

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Potential first pick?

As far as I know, they don't exist yet.
    Well the only difference between the ECC and the APC at least from what I understand is the Hand Guard, and the ECC has had great success so why not the APC when they are available?
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Well the only difference between the ECC and the APC at least from what I understand is the Hand Guard, and the ECC has had great success so why not the APC when they are available?
    The APC doesn't have the Mod2 gas block/tube setup?
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ark1443 View Post
    It's still my dream gun, and I'm hoping to get one this year. I don't think its just a fad, but if it was cheaper I think it would really take off for the differences it brings to the table.
    +1.

If I ever had $4k laying around, I'd buy an FDE SCAR17 in a hearbeat. It is one of the best battle rifles IMO.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    ??????????????????

I've haven't seen one thread (here and on different sites) where a majority in a similar question asked did NOT think that the SCAR 17 was the current 7.62Nato shiznit.

Not for a DMR role, but as a "battle rifle" do you think this is true?
    Not sure how others would categorize it, but when i think of a battle rifle, I think something that shoots a big round, has great iron sights, and can be used as a crowbar/club or used to catapult a team mate over a wall. The scar 17 I suspect won't do so well in the last 2 categories. To be fair, I don't think any rifle will live up to the "battle rifle" status as well as the Garand.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast