Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you report lost or stolen knives?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Do you report lost or stolen knives?

curious if any of y'all have to either report a lost or stolen knive(s)

I recently dropped or inadvertently left in a changing room my Benchmade Mini-Griptilian 556.
    I'm rather confused with this lost and just want some input if you've been in this situation.

thanks

looking for a replacement now,

Feedback Score
    If you're asking if it is a legal requirement to report lost or stolen knives, then I would doubt it. It might not be a bad idea, though, to let the business know that you lost one at that establishment. At the least you have a chance of them finding it and getting it back to you.

Funny that you mention losing a knife. Two weeks ago I was at the Colorado State FBLA Conference and I was almost certain I lost my Spyderco Paramilitary 2 (a knife I would recommend BTW). Luckily I was able to find it the next day, as we were leaving, on the hotel room floor where it had fallen out of my pocket. I also lost my Mini Grip last fall under one of the parts shelves at work. One of the guys I work with found it about a month later when we were reorganizing and expanding our parts on hand. I actually ordered my PM2 as a result of losing my Mini Grip.

Levi

P.S. Good luck in finding a new knife! Benchmade, Spyderco, and many other knife companies make products that will suit you well.
    "They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It would depend on the type and value of the knife, the place I lost it, the potential for a perceived or bona-fide legal problem, and similar variables. If notifying management of a business, I might report the loss of a small, <insert color here>, "pocket tool", "pen knife", "SAK", or similarly mundane description and leave my name and number. I can elaborate and positively ID later.

I favor inexpensive folders that can be lost or abandoned without consequence, afterthought, or financial hardship.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by levik97 View Post
    If you're asking if it is a legal requirement to report lost or stolen knives, then I would doubt it. It might not be a bad idea, though, to let the business know that you lost one at that establishment. At the least you have a chance of them finding it and getting it back to you.
    I'm trying to protect my own interest, with after thought that knife may be used to commit/ or have been used in a crime.

the said knife was acquired (per receipt) around $60...must have been a clearance/ holiday sale.

I've added it to my Amazon Price Tracktor just in case it drops price again. I really enjoyed that knife. Missed it terribly today when I was making some DIY project. Could have used it.

Thanks everyone.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    There's no legal requirement.

EVERY cutting/stabbing I've worked has always been a kitchen el'cheapo block o' knives style thing. Those little paring style knives with the wood handles are a fan favorite.

I wouldn't report anything as lost if I didn't have a serial number. If you dropped it or left it its not stolen. You're drastically over thinking it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    There's no legal requirement...................

I wouldn't report anything as lost if I didn't have a serial number. If you dropped it or left it its not stolen. You're drastically over thinking it.
    I just leery nowadays.

there was a passenger that got held up by TSA/Local PD because of a spend brass shell in his hand carry.

I don't think its has a serial number.
    The waiting for the next deal is just torture.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Trying to get through airport security with spent brass is different than losing a knife.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledanek View Post
    I just leery nowadays.

there was a passenger that got held up by TSA/Local PD because of a spend brass shell in his hand carry.

I don't think its has a serial number.
    The waiting for the next deal is just torture.
    Haha my uncle got put on the terror watch list because they found a spent .45 ACP shell in the lining of his jacket!

Levi
    "They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I disassemble my knives and have my name, SSN and DOB micro lasered into them. Then I do a fingerprint under the handle scales.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Good approach, IG. Don't forget the RFID chip and DNA sample, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast