Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Good .22 squirrel rifle?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Good .22 squirrel rifle?

This upcoming season id like to finally go small game hunting. I'd like a good 22 that is light enough to hump around all day, accurate enough to bag a squirrel or rabbit at 50 yards, and preferably has a threaded barrel as I have an AAC Pilot 2. Hunting with cans is illegal in Florida so the threaded barrel isn't a necessity.

I had a 10/22 but went the "tacticool" route with a heavy ass barrel, stock, bipod etc. What is a good bolt gun for this and what kind of optics work well for what I'm trying to do? (I know nothing about optics other than aimpoints and tactical NFs and S&Bs)
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Check out Savage. They are very accurate, and they have a few models with threaded barrels.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    John

If you spend much time around the guys who really, really know their craft, and who truly live this stuff, you tend to find that they are very soft-spoken and modest -- almost to the extreme. To my mind, that is a model worthy of emulation

AC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anschütz are damn nice rifles. Have a friend who had one in .22WMR and from his back door racked up over 200 squirrels over the course of a couple years and was taking those shots at closer to 100 meters over 50. That said, Savage does make a pretty damn accurate rifle, picked up a M64 in trade and it is more accurate stock than my stock 10/22s in my opinion.

Suppose it comes down to your budget and if you want a semi or bolt action.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    CZ, all the way.

Feedback Score

Good .22 squirrel rifle?

For threaded barrel, look at Savage FVSR. Accurate enough for its price-point, and light. For a step-up in quality, look at the CZ-455 and get one in threaded barrel. The threads are different (European), so a CZ will need a thread adapter.
    Last edited by SurplusShooter; 05-11-14 at 17:23.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I own two Savage 22 rifles and one CZ452. You can't go wrong either way.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have two CZ452 Scouts for my kids. They are sweet shooters. If I didn't love my remington speedmaster so much I'd for sure have a grown up CZ of my own.

Feedback Score
    I have a Cooper M57 that is consistently the most accurate rim fire rifle I've ever used including an Anschutz 1903 that I used to have access to. The Anschutz sporters are very good though, can't go wrong with one. Another good rifle is a Weatherby MK XII which is an Anschutz barreled action in a Weatherby stock. Going a bit lower in price any of the CZ rimfires are excellent, and Savage also makes an accurate rifle.

Feedback Score
    I have a CZ 452 American with 3X9 Leupold which is quite accurate. Also a Ruger 1022 with a trigger job and Nikon EFR3X9 AO which gets the job done on squirrels. Try different brands of ammo in either to find your most accurate load and have fun.
    The part about trying a variety of ammo is quite a challenge now with the shortage.

If you are looking for a premium priced rifle the go with a Cooper although they are almost too beautiful for a "working" gun such as a squirrel rifle. Go to the Cooper website, they are awesome.

Edit: replaced 1022 Bushnell with a Nikon EFR 3X9x40 AO and really like it.
    Last edited by Quick Draw; 08-21-14 at 13:25. Reason: Replaced scope

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast