Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Good .22 squirrel rifle?

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    You may want to look at a CZ 455 American with threaded barrel. It has a hunting taper to the barrel, vs the heavy varmint barrel, and should be more comfortable for carrying around. Another benefit to the 455 is the barrel changing capability. You can swap out to a .17 HMR or .22 Mag if you want.

When I was looking for my .22 bolt gun/suppressor host I looked at the CZs and Savage FVSR. I wound up getting the Savage because it will just be a quiet plinker. The accuracy has been very satisfactory. Outfitted with a SWFA 6x42 and Tacticool stock, it isn't something I would want to carry for too long.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Savage on a budget (with the accutrigger) or CZ for a nicer one with a little more coin. I went with the Savage FVSR and Boyds stock with DIP bottom metal. I'm very happy with it and the accuracy is outstanding for the price.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    The classic squirrel rifle has got to be the Marlin 39A. Plenty accurate, great balance, sufficient ammo capacity and the immeasurable cool factor.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Savage on a budget (with the accutrigger) or CZ for a nicer one with a little more coin. I went with the Savage FVSR and Boyds stock with DIP bottom metal. I'm very happy with it and the accuracy is outstanding for the price.
    Is that FVSR heavy? Even in November here it's 85 degrees, humid, with direct sun. Lightness is key.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 05-18-14 at 17:11.

Feedback Score
    Not sure exact weights, but I put a Boyd's stock on my FVSR and I only shoot it from a bench.

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I squirrel hunt regularly, on my land I have a 50 acre pecan orchard as a side business.

I like my CZ-452-2E. Bolt action .22LR 5 shot magazine with a factory 16" threaded barrel.

I replaced the trigger with a Timney Trigger setup at 3 pounds.

It has a lightweight screw on suppressor from Johns Guns. I have a couple other .22 suppressors, this is a sealed unit and thus very light.

Scope is a Leupold VXII 3x9x33 Lightweight EFR.
    EFR means Extended Focus Range, it is parallex adjustable to within a few yards and only weighs 11.5 ounces.

I use Wolf Match Ammo, subsonic and great quality. Wolf Match is made in Germany.

I only go for head shots, the rifle-trigger-scope-silencer-ammo setup is very accurate if I do my part and quiet.

Have fun,
    RFA
    Last edited by Ready.Fire.Aim; 05-18-14 at 18:43.
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013

Feedback Score
    I have CZ 452A and Savage Mark ii. If you looking for light carry the Savage is great and pretty accurate for hunting squirrels and other little critters and leave you enough $$$ for a nice scope. $18 in Krylon paint and you have this.
    Last edited by TunaFisherman; 05-18-14 at 18:46.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Is that FVSR heavy? Even in November here it's 85 degrees, humid, with direct sun. Lightness is key.
    It's not a lightweight, but it's lighter than a 10-22 with a steel .920" barrel. For a LW rifle, I have a 10-22 with a threaded Tac-Sol barrel.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    My Marlin 60 has put a lot of squirrels in the crock pot for the last 30 years...

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    As far as weight goes, my FVSR with Tacticool stock, DIP bottom metal, 30mm cheapo rings, an SWFA 6x42 and Spectre II weighs in at 9 lbs even on my bathroom scale. It doesn't feel too heavy, but I am sure the weight will feel more significant after an hour in the woods.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast