Thread: How are Sig P226: SA/DA, or DAK?

Feedback Score

How are Sig P226: SA/DA, or DAK?

I have never fired a Sig with the DAK system. I know it's supposed to be a DA only type of trigger, and since I have Glocks, I figured it would be similar??? To be totally honest I haven't fired their conventional pistols either, but I have had a USP DA/SA, and a P2000 DA/SA so....

Anyways I've read nothing but good about them (besides the cheap finish) and I was thinking of picking one up, but I wanted to be sure which one would fit me better. My local range only has the DA/SA so that's why I asked.

Thanks in advance.
    "To ask is but a moments shame, but to not ask, and remain ignorant is a life's shame" - Lao Tzu

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The DAK is an interesting trigger that most folks either love or hate. It is a VERY smooth and light DA pull around 6 lbs that feels similar to S&W revolver with a nice trigger job. It has a long reset (no reset) also like a S&W revolver which is what most shooters (such as Glock shooters) have a hard time with.

I can shoot the DAK guns very well after a little practice, but have a hard time transitioning back and forth from a DA/SA to a DAK gun.

I prefer the DA/SA, but either one will serve you well.

...and by the way. The newer Nitron finish does not seem to have the wear problems of its predecessors.

Feedback Score
    The above speaks the truth. I can't stand the DAK trigger personally. I think its a fine trigger for its intended purpose, but I just have a very hard time using it. Go check it out, it may be right for you.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The DAK trigger sucks in my opinion. Having two resets, the shorter one weighing more than the longer one(8# vs 6#). I just let the trigger go all the way forward, and in doing this, I found I was faster with the DA/SA. I sold the P226R-DAK(in .357sig) and purchased 1 1/2 P226xs in 9mm(I had to throw down $200 more to make the deal). I did it gladly, and would do it again many times over. I may just be me, but DAK always seemed to me as a crutch over lack of training.

IMO, go DA/SA, and if possible, get an SRT DA/SA. A Dallas PD(TX) detective friend of mine is returning to his old private purchase P228 as soon as the SRT trigger gets approved for 9mm use(it wont be approved for .357sig use, ever)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Sig 226 SA/DAK ?

I have a 226 9mm I sent to Glenn Custom here in AZ for SA/DA trigger job, he was longtime AZ DPS armorer, who has worked on thousands, I could not be more pleased w/his work, breaks DA @ 8lbs, transitions from DA to SA smooth
    and easy.

ToddG Guest
    The DAK is a perfectly viable "fighting" trigger. It's smooth, reasonably light, and functional. Trigger pull weight varies based on model (P226 is lightest, followed by P220/P229, then P239 at the heaviest). SIG started using a new mainspring which increased the trigger pull weight but also alleviated some complaints that the gun wasn't setting off lead-free primers 100%.

I gave the DAK an honest try for about six months, and have to admit it almost won me over. But once the SRT (short reset trigger, a misnomer because it's actually the safety lever and sear which give SRTs their short reset) was available, I never looked at the DAK again.

But most people can consistently, comfortably break 0.25 splits with the DAK after a bit of practice, and it's hard to argue that getting to 0.20 splits is going to win you a fight. The trade-off for slower splits is avoiding the heavy first trigger pull of a DA/SA and no need to remember the decocking step when done.

The DAK is easier to teach and easier for a new shooter to learn. The DA/SA has more potential for someone who can devote the time and effort into learning how to master it.

Feedback Score
    i like DA/SA.....but the SRT is my favorite.

DAK isn't really my thing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fail-Safe View Post
    (it wont be approved for .357sig use, ever)
    Why not?
    "To ask is but a moments shame, but to not ask, and remain ignorant is a life's shame" - Lao Tzu