Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Launches a New Series in the American Line

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I'm very interested in accuracy reports. This would be a great starter 308 for my AAC762

Feedback Score
    That .308 makes me hot and bothered.
    I don't collect guns, I accumulate them

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Tokarev I tried to pm you but your box is full. I looked through what I have for factory ammo and I don't have anything in 69 that is not loaded by me. I do have some bha blue box moly 77 matchkings. Along with some hornady TAP For Prarie Dogs that are 55 vmaxs I could send.

If you reload I could send you some nosler 69 custom competition's that you could load. That way you have a good range of ammo to test. Get back to me if you need the ammo and I will send it to you.

I would like to see how this performs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the offer to provide test ammo. I appreciate it.

I actually took the rifle out yesterday morning and fired a couple different loads through it. I started with a few rounds of 55gr Tula to get it on paper then switched to some Hornady 68gr BTHP hand loads loaded with 2520. I also tried some Speer 64gr Gold Dot and some Fiocchi loaded with 77gr Matchkings.

Of course the Tula was the worst of the bunch with groups at 2.5" or so. This wasn't much of a surprise. I was disappointed with the Hornady handload as it didn't seem to want to shoot better than about 1.5" or so. Actually I don't think I've ever had very good accuracy with the 68gr bullet in any of the rifles I've tried it in. The Speer shot pretty well and I had one 3rd group measure about .75." Last up was the 77gr stuff. The gun really seemed to like this load and I put three rounds into about half an inch with this stuff.

Next I ran some ammo through the gun with my AAC suppressor attached. The can didn't seem to have any detrimental impact on accuracy but it did shift the point of impact and everything shot a couple inches low.

Lastly, I moved to 200yds and tried the 77gr stuff one more time. I shot three rounds right at two inches. I finished off the day with a few rounds of the Gold Dot with the suppressor. These were so low that I had two rounds just nick the bottom edge of the target. The other two rounds went too low to mark the cardboard. Obvisously I will have to develop a specific set of come up's on my scope if I plan on continued suppressed use.

Overall the gun seems like it wants to shoot. The trigger is crisp and I haven't tried any adjustments on it yet.

After the range I went to the local sporting goods store and picked up a box of FGGM 69gr and another of 77gr. I also got a box of Hornady Superformance 75gr and a box of Winchester match loaded with 69gr Matchkings. I also picked up a box of 50gr VMAX bullets, a box of 70gr Berger VLD's and a box of Sierra 80gr BTHP. When I have a bit of time I'll see if I can't work up a few loads. Powder is limited but I should have something that'll help us get an idea of what the new rifle will do with the light varmint bullets and the heavy match stuff.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    77gr group @ 100yds

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    200yd group with Fiocchi 77gr match.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the info. I have never been able to get the hornady 68 or 75 to shoot well in anything.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have never been able to get the hornady 68 or 75 to shoot well in anything.
    I have not messed with Hornady's 75gr much at all but I have tried the 68gr in several AR's. Some shoot it okay but it has not proven to be anything other than so-so in my experience. Makes me wonder why I keep messing with it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I still have a box of 75s. I kept trying and one day I decided using matchkings and custom competitions was so much easier. I just left them alone. Eventually I will just load them hot and stash them away for hd.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I still haven't gotten around to loading any of the new bullets I just bought. I was hoping to have at least a few rounds loaded for this coming weekend. Hopefully I can at least find the time to load a handful of the 80gr Matchkings before Saturday. I'm predicting great things from that bullet...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast