Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Launches a New Series in the American Line

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I happened to see the new 300BLK Ranch Rifle last week. The gun should be a hit. 1x7 twist, detachable box magazine, 5/8-24 threaded 16" barrel. Retail of $489 is right there with the rest of the Americans so actual store price should be quite a bit lower.
    http://www.ruger.com/products/americ...ch/models.html

States rotary mag, which is fine. See how well it works out, looks great. I hope they make it in 6.8 one day.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    http://www.ruger.com/products/americ...ch/models.html

States rotary mag, which is fine. See how well it works out, looks great. I hope they make it in 6.8 one day.
    I don't think we'll see anything in 6.8. Ruger took a beating over the SAAMI chamber in the SR556 and isn't too interested in going down that road again.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's Jeff Quinn's nice little review:

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-AmericanRR.htm
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    I want the 5.56mm one with the 16" barrel. Would make a handy truck/ATV knockabout gun.

My brother bought a Ruger American in 243 when they first came out and after he dropped a 3x9x40 Nikon on the thing - I zeroed it in for him.

With Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips....I had no troubles keeping a 1" group at 100yds. The damn thing shot well and the bolt cycled fast. The magazine was easy to load and if you are familiar with the rotary 10-22 mags...they are very similar. It would have been cool if Ruger HAD made this rifle to accept AR mags but I have never wished my bolt gun had 30 rounds and the rotary mag does work very well.

For the money...these things are a real steal if you ask me.

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I don't think we'll see anything in 6.8. Ruger took a beating over the SAAMI chamber in the SR556 and isn't too interested in going down that road again.
    They just have to get with the program, looks like their latest trend may lead them that way?
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    They just have to get with the program, looks like their latest trend may lead them that way?
    Well, unless one of the wildcat 6.8 chambers gets SAAMI approval, Ruger will stick with the original Remington chamber.

Don't get me wrong. I like the 6.8 and think a Ranch or Scout would be a fun little rifle but I think Ruger took such a beating over the SAAMI chamber that they got out of the game entirely. They don't make the Mini-14 or the SR556 in 6.8 anymore. Maybe things will change in the future but I don't have too much hope.

On the other hand, I hear Alexander Arms is up for sale. Maybe Ruger will buy intellectual rights to the 6.5 Grendel and 50 Beowulf.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
    I want the 5.56mm one with the 16" barrel. Would make a handy truck/ATV knockabout gun.

My brother bought a Ruger American in 243 when they first came out and after he dropped a 3x9x40 Nikon on the thing - I zeroed it in for him.

With Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips....I had no troubles keeping a 1" group at 100yds. The damn thing shot well and the bolt cycled fast. The magazine was easy to load and if you are familiar with the rotary 10-22 mags...they are very similar. It would have been cool if Ruger HAD made this rifle to accept AR mags but I have never wished my bolt gun had 30 rounds and the rotary mag does work very well.

For the money...these things are a real steal if you ask me.

-brickboy240
    I had the same experience with an American Rifle in .30/06. Doing an initial sight in we both got groups right about 1" with a generic 3-9 scope (I forgot the make). I think you get a lot of rifle for the money.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nate89 and brickboy240,
    When you guys shot these groups, was it a 5 shot group? I'm just curious about the accuracy with a hot barrel. So far Ruger has a winner.

jpgm

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Well, unless one of the wildcat 6.8 chambers gets SAAMI approval, Ruger will stick with the original Remington chamber.

Don't get me wrong. I like the 6.8 and think a Ranch or Scout would be a fun little rifle but I think Ruger took such a beating over the SAAMI chamber that they got out of the game entirely. They don't make the Mini-14 or the SR556 in 6.8 anymore. Maybe things will change in the future but I don't have too much hope.

On the other hand, I hear Alexander Arms is up for sale. Maybe Ruger will buy intellectual rights to the 6.5 Grendel and 50 Beowulf.
    Interesting, kind of like the "offspring" are being put up for adoption.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    You have to hand it to Ruger for their market research and coming out with various editions of their lines of firearms. Just good business.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast