View Poll Results: Are NASA's future missions and budget justified?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's worth the time and expenditures

70 47.62%
  • Complete waste of money

19 12.93%
  • We need to explore, but not at the current cost

19 12.93%
  • We haven't spent enough

39 26.53%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Space Exploration

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Space Exploration

I've seen different sides of this on several sites, threads and posts on here. Some think it's a worthy goal, others think it's a waste of money that could be better spent on more earthly projects.

How does M4C feel about the budgets for NASA as well as the goals in our space programs?

NASA budget typically runs $17-18 Billion and change.

Budget of NASA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cut other budgets to supplement NASA's. Start with the NSA or a couple others that quickly come to mind.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Im still pissed that they cut constellation and the shuttle retirement. I am anxious to see Orion and the SLS fly though!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    LBJ's War on Poverty and the free shit army ruined our once great space program.

I'm all for space exploration and truly feel it's our species future since every habitable planet has an expiration date. However, we have much bigger problems going on in the world right now that we should be focused on.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    We need more intel. So, more exploration is needed. But on a global scale, we can't foot the bill for everything needed.
    "You cannot play fair with people who don't care if you get wiped off the map. You don't have to hate everyone who isn't part of your tribe, but it is foolish to keep caring about people who don't care about you."
    Speech at the second National Policy Institute conference, December 26, 2013.

See you soon, AC.

Feedback Score
    My login should pretty well indicate my feelings. The future of mankind lies out there. To survive as a species, we need to explore the universe, to understand how it operates, to colonize other worlds. To do less is to waste the gift.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit69 View Post
    We need more intel. So, more exploration is needed. But on a global scale, we can't foot the bill for everything needed.
    Which does bring up a valid tangent to the original questions.

Can the private sector explore space cheaper and more efficiently than the government? Companies like Space-X, Bigelow Aerospace, Virgin Galactic, XCOR et al are all starting to move forward into the commercialization of space. Is the next logical step for them to start pushing the boundaries past where governments only previously had reign?
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    NASA is one program I agree with. Their work benefits everyone. You can even make a case for national security since asteroid impacts have occurred on earth and will happen again. Relying on the private sector in that area isn't really an option although I do also support groups like Space X having a role, too. NASA has really gone downhill in the last decade as far as mission and capability. JPL is doing great stuff with Curiosity and other such projects.

I don't really have a problem with the gov spending money on science or research that does or can alter the lives of millions or the entire planet in a positive manner. We just need to have proper oversight so these organizations don't become political. I think NASA has tilted that way a bit of late with the Muslim outreach and GW stuff. Stick to science and not appeasing political leaders.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    I don't really have a problem with the gov spending money on science or research that does or can alter the lives of millions or the entire planet in a positive manner. We just need to have proper oversight so these organizations don't become political. I think NASA has tilted that way a bit of late with the Muslim outreach and GW stuff. Stick to science and not appeasing political leaders.
    When there isn't enough money to go and do the actual mission in what amounts to an equipment sport of gargantuan proportions, the end result is always going to be some mickey mouse crap like that.
    What's hard not to be outright depressed about for somebody like me (massive space exploration enthusiast, high intellect engineering mind and willingness to commit to large high stress projects, but physically incapable of being an astronaut) is that I won't see the opportunity to be part of a mission control or ground support apparatus that exemplified the truly great things about the NASA organization of the 60's... it's emotionally rough watching documentaries about the proper space age, and despite having seen and even touched in person hardware flown early as part of the ISS and met and talked with half a dozen astronauts when I was younger that I will never be afforded the opportunity to work on something of that scale, and infuriating that the funds that could otherwise go towards that are being wasted on politically expedient wealth redistribution.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Imagine what might have been accomplished had even one of the several trillions of dollars we've pissed away trying to democratize Middle Eastern shitholes been spent on space research and exploration. I'm not trying to crap on our armed forces. They've served valiantly. My bitch is with the ignorant and feckless policy makers that commit to such ill-fated quixotic debacles and the incestuous relationship between our military command and the defense contractors that feed off of them. Rant off.

I've said it before so I won't repeat the whole spiel. The Mercury-Gemini-Apollo programs were a great source of national pride. It was an endeavor that pulled people together, as opposed to tearing them apart. Perhaps this country is incapable of embracing such a shared vision again and the only thing we can all rally around, at least during halftime at the Super Bowl, is blowing some cesspool off the map with a little shock and awe while we listen to a Lee Greenwood belt out "Proud to be an American."

I'd like to think we're better than that and capable of doing a whole lot more with the human and natural resources we have available to us.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast