View Poll Results: Are NASA's future missions and budget justified?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's worth the time and expenditures

70 47.62%
  • Complete waste of money

19 12.93%
  • We need to explore, but not at the current cost

19 12.93%
  • We haven't spent enough

39 26.53%
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Space Exploration

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Space Exploration

I've seen different sides of this on several sites, threads and posts on here. Some think it's a worthy goal, others think it's a waste of money that could be better spent on more earthly projects.

How does M4C feel about the budgets for NASA as well as the goals in our space programs?

NASA budget typically runs $17-18 Billion and change.

Budget of NASA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cut other budgets to supplement NASA's. Start with the NSA or a couple others that quickly come to mind.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Im still pissed that they cut constellation and the shuttle retirement. I am anxious to see Orion and the SLS fly though!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    LBJ's War on Poverty and the free shit army ruined our once great space program.

I'm all for space exploration and truly feel it's our species future since every habitable planet has an expiration date. However, we have much bigger problems going on in the world right now that we should be focused on.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    We need more intel. So, more exploration is needed. But on a global scale, we can't foot the bill for everything needed.
    "You cannot play fair with people who don't care if you get wiped off the map. You don't have to hate everyone who isn't part of your tribe, but it is foolish to keep caring about people who don't care about you."
    Speech at the second National Policy Institute conference, December 26, 2013.

See you soon, AC.

Feedback Score
    My login should pretty well indicate my feelings. The future of mankind lies out there. To survive as a species, we need to explore the universe, to understand how it operates, to colonize other worlds. To do less is to waste the gift.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit69 View Post
    We need more intel. So, more exploration is needed. But on a global scale, we can't foot the bill for everything needed.
    Which does bring up a valid tangent to the original questions.

Can the private sector explore space cheaper and more efficiently than the government? Companies like Space-X, Bigelow Aerospace, Virgin Galactic, XCOR et al are all starting to move forward into the commercialization of space. Is the next logical step for them to start pushing the boundaries past where governments only previously had reign?
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post

Can the private sector explore space cheaper and more efficiently than the government? Companies like Space-X, Bigelow Aerospace, Virgin Galactic, XCOR et al are all starting to move forward into the commercialization of space. Is the next logical step for them to start pushing the boundaries past where governments only previously had reign?
    The privatization of space exploration IS the future. Being a science fiction geek at the least as taught me this.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post

No. The risks are too high. No business, outside of a Weyland-Yutani-style corporation run by an eccentric billionaire (probably trillionaire, if we're honest) could afford the investment and justify the potential costs versus the potential benefits of space travel, especially given that many of them are simply unknown. Private enterprise will go into space, but it will only follow the lead of governments. As it did with Christopher Columbus, Magellan, Lewis & Clark, &c.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    The privatization of space exploration IS the future. Being a science fiction geek at the least as taught me this.
    Yup. Just a matter of when.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    XCOR is supposed to be setting up shop next to me soon.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast