Thread: Advice on 10.5" Upper

Feedback Score

Advice on 10.5" Upper

So I sent my ATF forms/check in a couple of weeks ago and now am planning out the rest of the build (on a Noveske lower). I was originally thinking of either a full Noveske with the standard SWS rail (as I'm very happy with my N4 14.5) or just a custom build from Grant with a Noveske barrel and probably a DD Lite 10.0 but now I've been kicking around either the Noveske VIS or an LMT MRP all in 10.5. So I'd appreciate any advice I could get from all of you guys with SBRs and experience with either the VIS or the MRP.

The MRP intrigues me mainly due to the CL barrel (I don't know that I'd take advantage of the barrel swapping feature) instead of the SS barrel in the Noveske, I'm a little leary of an SS barrel as I assume it would require more meticulous maintenance than a CL and since it's a 10.5 it's not like the SS is necessary for long range accuracy (correct me if I'm wrong). Purpose of the gun is mainly range and the occasional class but I don't rely on my guns for work, I average a couple of hundred rounds a month through my current rifles (probably 3k annually). Please toss in any helpful comments in that you guys can think of.

I appreciate your help.

Feedback Score
    I'm too was looking for a 10.5" to supplement my N4 and Grant just got my order for a 10.5" Noveske barrel build. I opted for a 9" Larue rail, because I like the integrated sling mount and don't want the rail to close to the end of the barrel in case of impact. DD's monolithic look is nice, but it cost more and doesn't offer a integrated sling mount.

I recently purchased / returned an MRP, planning to have both 16" and 10.5" barrels. The problem I found was you have to re-zero after barrel swaps and the price for an a second upper was very close to a complete MRP + additional barrel. It also felt a little heavy.

The 10.5" LMT upper was highly recommended for reliabilty, but the price between a Noveske barreled upper or the LMT was almost exactly the same.

After hearing a few sad range reports from inexspensive 10-11" barrels the added accuracy of the Noveske will be nice and from my research, I don't think I'm going to wear out the SS barrel. I would liked to have a chrome lined SS Noveske barrel, as there was a special run once.

G&R is building what I wanted for quite a bit quicker and less $ than going direct from Noveske, as I didn't need the KX3 or MUR.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The 10.5 MRP doesn't have quite the weight penatly of the longer MRPs, but if I were you I would definitely spring for a standard upper (Noveske or LMT) with a KAC URX. Then again, you might not like a fixed front sight base and the only way get a true midlength URX is to have a rifle length one cut down.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    the only way get a true midlength URX is to have a rifle length one cut down.
    Oh really?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I thought all the 9" URXs in existence were cut down by Dave Lutz or Marvin Pitts? All 6 or 7 or whatever...