Thread: Lefty Shooter Wants an 870 - Suggested Mods?

Feedback Score

Lefty Shooter Wants an 870 - Suggested Mods?

Hi all,

I am left handed and I currently have a Mossberg 590A1 18" (with Surefire fore-end) shotgun due to the ambidextrous safety and easy to reach carrier release button. But I find this gun to be quite heavy and the action rattles more than I expected.

So I would like to buy an 870, but would like to find out if there are any mods suggested to make it more friendly for a left handed shooter.

- Is the carrier release location an issue for lefty's?
    - Can the cross-bolt safety be reversed?

I think these were the two features that drew me towards the 590A1 over an 870.

Or are there techniques such that these aren't drawbacks for lefties?

I do want ghost ring sights and a possible picatinny rail for an Aimpoint T-1, but I'd like to keep the weight down.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1022rimfire View Post
    - Is the carrier release location an issue for lefty's?
    - Can the cross-bolt safety be reversed?
    As a lefty ... carrier release is not an issue.
    The safety can be reversed - by a competent gunsmith - and I've got two 870s set up that way. A better suggestion, and the route I'll go if I need to set up another 870, is to buy a complete, new L/H fire control group and install it.
    (I did have a L/H 870 but I sold it)

Or are there techniques such that these aren't drawbacks for lefties?
    There are ways to manipulate the safety w/the left hand. They involve rolling or positioning the L/h under the receiver.
    My personal preference is to make the weapon L/H friendly ... but that's just me.

I do want ghost ring sights and a possible picatinny rail for an Aimpoint T-1, but I'd like to keep the weight down.
    I have a Mesa shell holder / rail combination specifically for a T-1 but I have not installed it yet.
    The T-1 was quite nice on a semi-auto I just finished playing with.
    Yup, I'm a Dinosaur!

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    This is actually one of the few times I agree it's better to make it lefty-friendly.

The safety can be reversed by a competent gunsmith which is what I did on mine.

VC Systems also makes a oversized ball safety which is also an option if you don't want to reverse it. Hans is also a hell of a guy and a genuine artisan if you want to have him modify your 870.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    As a lefty ... carrier release is not an issue.
    The safety can be reversed - by a competent gunsmith - and I've got two 870s set up that way. A better suggestion, and the route I'll go if I need to set up another 870, is to buy a complete, new L/H fire control group and install it.
    (I did have a L/H 870 but I sold it)

I have a Mesa shell holder / rail combination specifically for a T-1 but I have not installed it yet.
    The T-1 was quite nice on a semi-auto I just finished playing with.
    Where did you get your LH Fire control group? Can that be put on a LH 870?
    Also, where did you get the Mesa setup- I thought they only made the combo deal for the Benelli's.

I have been using RH 870s since I was 12- Bird hunting really taught me how to manipulate the controls in a hurry- I wouldn't mind my primary home defense weapon having a LH safety though.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Concur.

LH mods often aren't truly necessary, and one can easily learn to get around the manual of arms -- even on an 870 -- but there are some real advantages to converting the safety.

As stated, you can buy the LH group, have a gunsmith do it for you, or Remington used to offer the service as well. It's worth the perceived hassle.

Chief
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    I think Remington still does the con.
    dit