Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First suppressor. Pistol or rifle?

Feedback Score
    I will say that a rifle can definitely makes a bigger difference in terms of cutting out unpleasantness. I don't know if the dB numbers say the same, but centerfire rifles are just plain obnoxious unsuppressed compared to suppressed. Pistols will go quieter w/ subsonic, but they're just not that objectionable to me by comparison. Not that I wouldn't shoot them suppressed too, but freely blasting away uncanned isn't as annoying to be next to as with rifles, particularly rifles with brakes.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Your first can should be a top-tier 22 LR can. Quiet, light, cheap to shoot, cheap to collect hosts for, truly hearing-safe...probably the most fun you will have with a suppressor. I got a rimfire can first, then a rifle can, and am waiting for a pistol can. I really think the rimfire can was a great first choice.

Feedback Score
    ghjkl
    Last edited by Aries144; 05-11-19 at 19:15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Waiting on my Octane45 and Spectre II, so really can't offer a lot of advice on rifle vs pistol can. I went with pistol cans because they seemed to be more quiet (esp. 22 cans), I had fired friends pistol/rifle cans and liked the suppressed pistols the best(esp 22lr). Really do plan to get suppressor for one of my SBRs eventually. And about the 3lug mount, if not mistaken that is used for fixed barrels. If you use it with Glocks/M&P/etc it will not cycle action, but is really quiet single shot (so says guys on silencer talk forums, wouldn't hurt to search around their archives for some additional info).
    Should mention am non-mil/LEO, just a civy.
    Last edited by lunchbox; 05-23-14 at 19:30.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    Octane .45 and be done with. I have 6 cans and at least 3 of them won't get used as much once I receive mine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I recommend getting a rifle suppressor first. A pistol can isn't very practical- you can't really holster it, and can't really practice anything very useful. Ever see or hear of anybody taking a pistol class with a can? A rifle can, even on a non-SBR, can stay there, probably be slung, can be used in a class and for training. And on a bolt gun it can increase accuracy and make it more fun to shoot. The SDN-6 is a pretty versatile and effective can, and would be a good choice for you.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Unless we're talking .22lr, I probably only enjoy the first half of the magazine when shooting a suppressed pistol.

Centerfire pistol cans are almost as big and heavy as centerfire rifle cans. Probably the only comfortable one I've shot was a hybrid can (baffle stack & wipe) because it was so small and light. However, wipe got shot out stupid fast (especially with truncated cone 147gr subsonic 9mm) and wasn't quiet at all without the wipe + ablative. Though there are some options for carrying it they aren't very practical all-around.
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsunsurf View Post
    I recommend getting a rifle suppressor first. A pistol can isn't very practical- you can't really holster it, and can't really practice anything very useful. Ever see or hear of anybody taking a pistol class with a can? A rifle can, even on a non-SBR, can stay there, probably be slung, can be used in a class and for training. And on a bolt gun it can increase accuracy and make it more fun to shoot. The SDN-6 is a pretty versatile and effective can, and would be a good choice for you.
    This man knows what he is talking about.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Most pistol rounds can be bought and loaded subsonic.... This will give you the closest thing to "Hollywood" quiet.

I intend to use my 9mm Octane on my night stand gun so I will be using my suppressor in any classes that deals with home defense scenarios with room clearing.

A 7.62 rifle can was my first suppressor and would be what I would recommend to you. If you never plan on buying a dedicated 5.56 can then the new Saker 7.62 suppressor with 5.56 endcap looks interesting.

Below is my generic answer for choosing a suppressor.

------------------------------------

First thing to do is make a list of your priorities in a suppressor.

Rank the following by value. (Below is my ranking from most to least important).

-Mount/locking mechsnism
    -POI shift
    -Accuracy
    -Blowback on semiautomatic weapons
    -Signature (flash etc.)
    -Durability
    -Customer service/support
    -Weight
    -db reduction
    -Price
    -If the cool kids are running these

With all that being listed I went with Surefire. It arguably has the best QD mounting system of any of the big name companys, the least POI shift in a qd ststem, durable enough for the military (rated for 300 WM), has good accuracy and their customer service has been really great the last couple of years.*

The cons: they are not the quietest, and their price is more expensive than budget model cans.*

Regarding their brakes: they are pretty effective (my SR25 barely moves when the brake is attached, and the mounts are 115-130 if you shop around.*

My top 3 choices to look at for a qd can to be used hard:

1. Surefire SOCOM762-RC
    2. Silencerco Saker
    3. Silencerco Specwar

If you are not going to be shooting fast and on a lot of 5.56 than go titanium:

1. Thunderbeast 30CB7 or 30CB9.
    Last edited by domestique; 06-04-14 at 08:09.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I would go with a rifle can first. For you I would suggest the AAC SDN-6. Great can an I also run it on my my 5.56 guns. It works great. I am not a huge fan of pistol cans. Not too much of a use for them.....besides a .22 pistol with an intagraded can. Those are very nice.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast