Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is a Quick Release Mount Necessary for a Suppressor?

Feedback Score
    I have a AAC Ranger 2 (direct thread) on my 10.5 in LMT.

I have the Ranger 2 Rocksett on the barrel, and have never had it come loose. I leave it in place unless I am doing a detail clean on the rifle. Mostly I just run a boresnake down the barrel/suppressor 5x and call it good.

This set up works well for me. That being said, I really wish I would have gone the quick detach 7.62 route. Then I wouldn't have to buy a new can for a .300 or .308 build.

Last edited by Spahr0311B; 06-15-14 at 23:52. Reason: clean up BBcode

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    A dedicated set-up with a direct mount suppressor is shorter, lighter, cheaper and eliminates the maintenance issues of QD variants. The sacrificial baffle theory is just that, a theory. I have yet to find a manufacturer who has documented this as design feature of a suppressor. Even if a manufacturer did, I seriously doubt anyone will ever shoot enough to wear out blast baffles. The only real benefit of a QD system, IMO, is being able to use one suppressor across multiple hosts. QD is financial battleground for suppressor manufacturers who I'd argue have made more money selling suppressor mounts than suppressors. I crossed paths with several hundred dedicated suppressed carbines at Specialized Armament and the only damaged suppressors were a result of misuse by the agency that owned them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71 View Post
    You can get more mounts so you can use your cans on more than one rifle.
    It's a gemtech halo so I have a limitless supply of $5 mounts.

Feedback Score
    I have an AAC Ranger (thread-on) dedicated to my bullpup only because I have two barrels. When I don't want to shoot suppressed I just swap out the barrels (in about 3 seconds) as the AUG platform makes it very easy. I keep the spare barrel in the case with my bullpup.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
    A dedicated set-up with a direct mount suppressor is shorter, lighter, cheaper and eliminates the maintenance issues of QD variants...
    These are my thoughts as well. I've done a few hours of searching and reading and I'm leaning towards the direct mount Ranger 3 when it comes out. Not that I'm any kind of expert or anything, but a direct mount makes sense. Many QD muzzle devices weigh a quarter pound, cost $100-$150 each and are not of a design that I'd like to shoot with when the suppressor is removed.

hjmpanzr makes a good point, a universal mount system and a 30 caliber suppressor would let me use it on a couple different rifles, but for the moment, I just want to suppress a short barrel 5.56. If I decide later I want to run a 308 with a suppressor, I'll get a 30 caliber can at that time. I've been fascinated with suppressors since i was a kid.

These are my thoughts today. If the Ranger 3 was on the shelf and if I had the funds, I'd start the paper work now. But I am still searching, still asking questions, still listening, still learning. Tomorrow is a different day and I might come across new facts to set me along another path
    Last edited by MistWolf; 06-17-14 at 02:50.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    As a thought experiment, if suppressors were cheaper and more readily available (i.e. removed from NFA), wouldn't the preferred setup generally be direct attach with 1 suppressor per barrel replacing the muzzle device?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
    A dedicated set-up with a direct mount suppressor is shorter, lighter, cheaper and eliminates the maintenance issues of QD variants. The sacrificial baffle theory is just that, a theory. I have yet to find a manufacturer who has documented this as design feature of a suppressor. Even if a manufacturer did, I seriously doubt anyone will ever shoot enough to wear out blast baffles. The only real benefit of a QD system, IMO, is being able to use one suppressor across multiple hosts. QD is financial battleground for suppressor manufacturers who I'd argue have made more money selling suppressor mounts than suppressors. I crossed paths with several hundred dedicated suppressed carbines at Specialized Armament and the only damaged suppressors were a result of misuse by the agency that owned them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    I have an AAC Ranger (thread-on) dedicated to my bullpup only because I have two barrels. When I don't want to shoot suppressed I just swap out the barrels (in about 3 seconds) as the AUG platform makes it very easy. I keep the spare barrel in the case with my bullpup.
    Last edited by Clint; 06-17-14 at 08:29.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    These are my thoughts as well. I've done a few hours of searching and reading and I'm leaning towards the direct mount Ranger 3 when it comes out. Not that I'm any kind of expert or anything, but a direct mount makes sense. Many QD muzzle devices weigh a quarter pound, cost $100-$150 each and are not of a design that I'd like to shoot with when the suppressor is removed.

hjmpanzr makes a good point, a universal mount system and a 30 caliber suppressor would let me use it on a couple different rifles, but for the moment, I just want to suppress a short barrel 5.56. If I decide later I want to run a 308 with a suppressor, I'll get a 30 caliber can at that time. I've been fascinated with suppressors since i was a kid.

These are my thoughts today. If the Ranger 3 was on the shelf and if I had the funds, I'd start the paper work now. But I am still searching, still asking questions, still listening, still learning. Tomorrow is a different day and I might come across new facts to set me along another path
    If there was no NFA, I'd have a ranger 3 on every 5.56 rifle.

Because there is, I have a single SDN-6 that I swap to every rifle.

On an SBR, here's why I chose the SDN-6:
    Allows use of 300BLK
    The brake is a sacrificial baffle - I have significant erosion already and feel like it has already paid for itself
    Larger volume means less back pressure and less increased cycling rate
    Larger bore diameter means less chance of a baffle strike out of a shorter barrel where the round might possibly not be stabilized yet and/or there might be other crap coming out of the barrel

The SDN-6 also allows me to use it on .308 rifes. However, it's not ideal for 14.5"+ 5.56 rifles.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    ghjkl
    Last edited by Aries144; 05-11-19 at 19:19.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123