Thread: Hornady TAP Practice 75gr BTHP and bullet seating

Feedback Score

Hornady TAP Practice 75gr BTHP and bullet seating

I just purchased a 500 round case of Hornady TAP Practice 75gr BTHP. This is the Russian lacquer coated cases, loaded in the US with Hornady components. I examined a few boxes and they look good, except for the depth that the bullets are seated. On some of the rounds, I can see the canalure clearly and on some it is barely visible. When I examine the Hornady TAP 75gr brass cased (non-practice) rounds that I have, they all appear uniform. Is this a major issue for safety or just an accuracy issue? I purchased this ammo to try as cheap practice ammo for my LMT. Unfortunately, I have no camera and can't post pictures. Thanks in advance for all replys.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flyer View Post
    I just purchased a 500 round case of Hornady TAP Practice 75gr BTHP. This is the Russian lacquer coated cases, loaded in the US with Hornady components. I examined a few boxes and they look good, except for the depth that the bullets are seated. On some of the rounds, I can see the canalure clearly and on some it is barely visible. When I examine the Hornady TAP 75gr brass cased (non-practice) rounds that I have, they all appear uniform. Is this a major issue for safety or just an accuracy issue? I purchased this ammo to try as cheap practice ammo for my LMT. Unfortunately, I have no camera and can't post pictures. Thanks in advance for all replys.
    So long as the bullet is not pushed back into the cartridge (I mean pushed WAY back) there is no issue from a safety standpoint of the over all length variances with your ammo. Hornady is a quality manufacturer and I doubt they would have shipped anything out that is unsafe. Accuracy may be a different story, but I am sure so long as you're not expecting to use this ammo in a long range match type situation then it will perform just fine for you.

If you don't mind me asking where in the heck did you find 500 rounds of TAP practice?!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I wouldn't sweat it at all. Like deco said... watch for any obviously messed up rounds. It could be uneven case lengths rather than variances in bullet seating.

You should see some of the variances I get when I'm loading some scraggly brass for the last time before it hits the scrap bucket. It always runs just like factory new ammo though.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    If you don't mind me asking where in the heck did you find 500 rounds of TAP practice?![/QUOTE]

Thanks, GT Distributors (LE or Security only) for $ 160.00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flyer View Post
    Thanks, GT Distributors (LE or Security only) for $ 160.00.
    Good grief I figured as much. Thanks for letting me know, it's a shame they will only sell to LE and "Security".