Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me with my 1911 project

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Like SAM said you'll get as many opinions as the number of people you ask.

I have two 1911's with 25LPI checkering and I love them. I've shot them in several classes with high round counts with no problem at all. Any custom or semi custom 1911 of mine will have checkering or something on the front strap. Cheaper to do that when the gun's in the smith's hands than after the fact. Make that choice wisely now IMO. 30LPI is worthless IMO and 20LPI is too much (for my Palmolive soft hands).

Some folks want magwells and it's the same deal. do it now so you don't have the expense of refinishing the gun twice if you have the inkling.

I'm sure you'll be happy with the gun whatever you decide.
    I'm a lead farmer motherf**ker! - Kurt Lazarus

Feedback Score
    The 20lpi comes in pretty handy (no pun intended) on hot days when you are sweating. Keeps that 45 from jumping around too much and with enough rounds down range, your hands get used to being abraded.

ToddG Guest
    It is my considered opinion that men who prefer 20lpi checkering also like their wives to tie them up and spank them.

I spent about a month last year helping out an agency with some weapon evaluations. 2-3 days per week I was shooting 500-1,000 rounds per day through 1911's with 20lpi checkering. After the first day, my hands were hamburger. I wore gloves the rest of the time.

Shooting 500-1,000 rounds a day is nothing unusual for me, but that checkering was a killer. I'm not saying it doesn't work, and most people won't shoot that much in a day, but ... owie.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12