Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 7.62 Can shooting 5.56?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtom29 View Post
    WOW, Just WOW...hard to believe that so much inaccurate information could be written in one post. While the Quicksand is all Ti it holds up well to semi auto 308, 5.56. The advantage of very light weight,and sound suppression on par with the best silencers on the market make it a very good choice.
    What is your definition of "holds up well"?

I have seen idiots shooting their quicksand at relatively quick shooting schedules through AR15 carbines and personally witnessed the burning hot shards of titanium being blown out of the barrel as their suppressor gets ruined.

Inconel beats titanium under these conditions every single time. The Quicksand isn't even that much lighter than an SDN6, but it is a full 2" longer - not exactly what someone wants on a carbine.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    What is your definition of "holds up well"?

I have seen idiots shooting their quicksand at relatively quick shooting schedules through AR15 carbines and personally witnessed the burning hot shards of titanium being blown out of the barrel as their suppressor gets ruined.

Inconel beats titanium under these conditions every single time. The Quicksand isn't even that much lighter than an SDN6, but it is a full 2" longer - not exactly what someone wants on a carbine.
    I too have seen that. I agree with everything that is posted above.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I ahve a training partner who just took delivery of his 7.62 SOCOM. His intention was to have a can that worked across platforms. While it seems to be a superb can, his groups are actually larger out of his MK18 with the can on. I didnt want to believe it, considering my cheap ass YHM can on my MK18 tightened my groups. (maybe because it is a dedicated 5.56 can).
    Anyway, I shot a few groups with it and sure as heck POI changed about 1 inch at 100 yards, and opened up about another inch. I dont have an explanation for this, just putting the info out there.
    " If i cannot be a good example Lord, let me be a terrible warning"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    1" at 100 yards isn't that unbelievable. Probably normal, especially as heavy as that can is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle money bags View Post
    I ahve a training partner who just took delivery of his 7.62 SOCOM. His intention was to have a can that worked across platforms. While it seems to be a superb can, his groups are actually larger out of his MK18 with the can on. I didnt want to believe it, considering my cheap ass YHM can on my MK18 tightened my groups. (maybe because it is a dedicated 5.56 can).
    Anyway, I shot a few groups with it and sure as heck POI changed about 1 inch at 100 yards, and opened up about another inch. I dont have an explanation for this, just putting the info out there.
    Who verified the thread job? Did he use a torque wrench for the brake installation?

1 inch poi shift is completely acceptable for a 20oz can hanging off of a SBR barrel (as long as it's repeatable).

The group's opening up is usually a product of the brake being tightened down too tightly or the thread job isn't perfect.

The real test would be to try it on other hosts (preferably a precision rig).

Dtom29, Gemtech doesn't market the Quicksand for SBRs or for high rates of fire. It is a QD version of the Sandstorm. Their literature talks about bolt guns and semi auto "precision" rifles.

The Quicksand is NOT a "do all" can, and only a couple ozs lighter then a 762-rc which can be used in SBRs and high rates of fire.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    POI shift with the can is within expected tolerances. That is about the same I get with the 5.56 can, and both are repeatable. I was just surprised that the groups opened up like they did considering mine decreased in size. While I have no other data points to go on I was thinking it has something to do with the over sized bore on his can in some way.

I will pass along the info on the muzzle device torque. I know when he installed it he used a known good torque wrench. If the muzzle device is over torqued and causing an opening up of groups, wouldnt that also occur with the can off the gun? They seem pretty similar to what it was shooting prior to installation, with the same ammo under the same conditions.
    " If i cannot be a good example Lord, let me be a terrible warning"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    When you add a can, you change barrel harmonics. It may shoot better or worse or a new ammo may make it shoot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123