Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duty ammo for my carbine

Feedback Score

Duty ammo for my carbine

Very limited choices for my duty rifle. Either .223 or 5.56 in 55 grain fmj by Rem, Horn, Win, Fed or CCI-Speer. The only other option is Win PPt at 62 grain. I've been reviewing different threads and I know how disappointing the 55 fmj round is. Urban department. Traffic stops, active shooters, building searches etc.

16" bbl with 1 in 8 twist.

Thanks ahead of time. Mike

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    So your choices are a bunch of FMJ rounds or a non bonded soft point? I guess I'd go with the powerpoint and hope the bad guy isn't behind a barrier. Maybe carry a mag of FMJ for barrier penetration as well.

Feedback Score
    Appreciate the quick reply. I'm not fond of any of it but rather have the rifle with not the most optimum round for it, then no rifle at all. Surprises me is that we can carry a wide range of ammo for our handguns as long as it is jhp. Yet, narrow choices on the rifle. Thanks much, sir.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Depending on how savvy your firearms instructors are... what about the Hornady 55gr GMX round. Technically it's a "full metal jacket" since it's a solid metal bullet, right?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If those are your choices, I would go with the Winchester Power Point. It has a 64g projectile, doesn't it?
    Last edited by T2C; 06-04-14 at 20:27.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
    Depending on how savvy your firearms instructors are... what about the Hornady 55gr GMX round. Technically it's a "full metal jacket" since it's a solid metal bullet, right?
    Doesn't the world revolve around semantics Thank you and I will look into it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    If those are your choices, I would go with the Winchester Power Point. It has a 64g projectile, doesn't it?
    Brainfart on my part. You are correct. Do you happen to know of a link on how it does against soft body armor? A consistent drill I do on my own is a failure drill and am confident out to 25 yards with that drill. With the watch I work, an active school shooter scenario is a real possibility.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
    No, its a hollow point design thus it cannot have "full" jacket.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I would love an otm option but I am not holding my breath. We went to semi-autos in 91 and they had to be dao. I finally transitioned to one of these here plastic pistols and a very happy man

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Being monolithic there is no line where the jacket starts, or ends... regardless of the tip geometry. It's a thin argument but he really only needs to convince one person at his dept of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast