Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Duty ammo for my carbine

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1730 View Post
    But as I thought of it I have both my buis and optic zeroed at a hundred yds and used xm193. So I may be SOL. Unless POI for the ppt is within a quarter of inch difference at a hundred.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk
    I doubt it. I ran a few flavors of ammo a while back and POI was within a few inches between them all. Not really sub MOA between different groups. Wouldnt be that hard to recalibrate, though practice ammo could get pricey.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    I doubt it. I ran a few flavors of ammo a while back and POI was within a few inches between them all. Not really sub MOA between different groups. Wouldnt be that hard to recalibrate, though practice ammo could get pricey.
    My only issue is a few inches may be the difference in an active shooter situation where offender may be standing next too or a top of an innocent. I am confident in using my RD but if the ppt due to weight shoots a little lower then the 55 gr fmj I have to account for a higher off set. I trained with a rough 2 inch offset from 50 yds in. While I am not cheap I want to be consistent with my POI. I appreciate your feedback.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1730 View Post
    My only issue is a few inches may be the difference in an active shooter situation where offender may be standing next too or a top of an innocent. I am confident in using my RD but if the ppt due to weight shoots a little lower then the 55 gr fmj I have to account for a higher off set. I trained with a rough 2 inch offset from 50 yds in. While I am not cheap I want to be consistent with my POI. I appreciate your feedback.
    Not to be argumentative, and I too appreciate a surgical approach to marksmanship... but a long range, hostage rescue headshot, mid active shooter, is pretty far down the path of unlikely scenarios.

More often that not they choose to kill themselves, and when officers do get to put rounds on target, it's not at extreme distances.

The individual officer with a patrol rifle responding to a call alone is doing so because the killer is actively killing anyone he can find (more or less). To take a hostage means they're not actively killing, and they're trying to protect their own life now. Now you're looking at a negotiation and probably an ERT/SWAT call out.

If you can find one example of the scenario you're worried about, please share. But IMO, and working with LE all day on their equipment solutions to this very problem, I've yet to hear of any event like this unfolding. I would recommend carrying the best round you can chamber and not worrying about the .25"-.5" variation in POI within the 75 yard envelope that 99% of your shots are likely to occur in.

Feedback Score
    I feel better with the POI. I will PM with the rest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123