Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What tips can we share to prevent wild animal attacks:

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

What tips can we share to prevent wild animal attacks:

1. Smaller animals attract larger animals. Therefore, my dog and cat are inside only. The dog is on a leash when outside.

2. Food garbage is to be dumped in a creek or burned or buried.

3. Never mess with baby animals unless you're sure it's mom is dead. If it's approaching dark, then alert the DNR, Fish and Game, or Animal Control. If it's in distress the above still applies.
    Last edited by M67A2 Zippo Tank; 06-08-14 at 18:49.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M67A2 Zippo Tank View Post
    1. Smaller animals attract larger animals. Therefore, my dog and cat are inside only, The dog is on a leash when outside.

2. Food garbage is to be dumped in a creek or burned or burned.

3. Never mess with baby animals unless you're sure it's mom is dead. If it's approaching dark, then alert the DNR, Fish and Game, or Animal Control. If it's in distress the above still applies.
    Food garbage is to be dumped in a creek ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Food garbage is to be dumped in a creek ?
    And burned twice.
    Team Medic, Task Force Zangaro
    "The Cat's Originals"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Contamination of natural water sources is not a good practice.

Burying it is worthless. It'll just get dug up.

Feed the scraps to the dog, except for small bones which could perforate the intestine. Burn whatever is left.
    Last edited by peruna; 06-03-14 at 15:12.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm sorry to continue the disagreement but I take issue with the first point. While out on a walk in the city/residential areas, yes, keep your pet leashed. However, when 'out in the wild', I never leash my dog. If she and/or I need to GTFO immediately I want her to have the best chance possible at escaping and I want myself (or family if they are along as well) to have the same chance. Having your dog on a leash is a crutch and can be extremely detrimental. Ever have your dog go around the opposite side of a street lamp post while just walking in the neighborhood? Now imagine that in a panicked situation out in the middle of the woods/nowhere at full speed. Or let's say you toss the leash end, then it subsequently gets caught on whatever while your dog is running full speed..

Raise your dog properly so it obeys your commands without hesitation and stays near you/your family would be a better bit of advice.

All IMO and experience.
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 06-06-14 at 22:04.

Feedback Score
    Security lights outside the home that are motion sensors. It scares of coyotes and big cats. Bears are another story

Feedback Score
    I say be ever vigilant. Aware of your surroundings and in the event of confrontation with a possible "predator"( two or four legged) for heavens sake HOLD YOUR GROUND!!!! If you feel an attack is inevitable take the offensive!!!! In the words of the Cobra Kai "STRIKE FIRST STRIKE HARD NO MERCY SIR!!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MontePR View Post
    I say be ever vigilant. Aware of your surroundings and in the event of confrontation with a possible "predator"( two or four legged) for heavens sake HOLD YOUR GROUND!!!! If you feel an attack is inevitable take the offensive!!!! In the words of the Cobra Kai "STRIKE FIRST STRIKE HARD NO MERCY SIR!!!!

haha or just run away, fishing in alaska youd always see bears. As long as you kept distance, and didnt screw with them they would leave ya alone. Hell some of my friends offered up their catch of salmon to the bear as a peace offering before running away hahaha.

Feedback Score
    Due to feral pigs my 1 1/2 acre yard was constantly being plowed up.

Solution: I had it fenced completely. No more pigs in yard.

And yes, when they were still coming during the day, usually late afternoon, I would shoot em from my back porch. Mighty tasty..., but then they started coming only at night. Sometimes I'd stay up all night trying to get a shot and NEVER saw them. Sure enough though, my yard would be shredded, thus the fence...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Walk softly and carry a big stick, preferably one with a large magazine capacity...lol.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood for something, sometime in your life.----Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast